• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV as an RV in California

tacosauce

Going all that way, WOW. Good luck! You are certifiable, just like the rest of us ! lol
Changed a tire which took 3 hours. I think it could have been an hour, but the hydraulics were puking fluid all over the place. Probably used 3 quarts just raising the cab and tire. Took me a couple tries to get the tire hoist right besides the fluid leak.

Hub temperatures are running 70 degrees
Forward and rear u-joint running 80-90 degrees
Second u joint running 110
Third u-joint running 135
Need to change oil and belts

Reworked LMTV

Changed a tire which took 3 hours. I think it could have been an hour, but the hydraulics were puking fluid all over the place. Probably used 3 quarts just raising the cab and tire. Took me a couple tries to get the tire hoist right besides the fluid leak.

Hub temperatures are running 70 degrees
Forward and rear u-joint running 80-90 degrees
Second u joint running 110
Third u-joint running 135
Need to change oil and belts
What happened to the tire.

Officer: "Sir you have 5 cases of beer in the back, any reason for that?" :ROFLMAO:

Third From Texas

Trial by fire, good for you. Being sure that I could get the spare off in the dark by myself was the first thing I did when I got my first truck. And a couple hours isn't bad for a swap. Pulling a tire off the truck and replacing it is one of those things best not rushed, IMO.

Looking forward to your build !

tacosauce

What happened to the tire.

Officer: "Sir you have 5 cases of beer in the back, any reason for that?" :ROFLMAO:
I haven't picked up the beer yet :p
Anyone up for an oil change and belt swap? That would be a good reason for beer :) Leaving Richmond and heading toward Atlanta on the 85.

The tire had sidewall checking, so moved it to the spare position as a precaution. Easier to plan for it than to try and do an emergency change at the roadside. I also wanted to practice it for the first time. We have a system: remove hydro fill, paper funnel, keep a couple inches of fluid in the funnel while operating hydro to minimize air intrusion (PITA). Hold mouth just right while changing tire (not bad).

tacosauce

Trial by fire, good for you. Being sure that I could get the spare off in the dark by myself was the first thing I did when I got my first truck. And a couple hours isn't bad for a swap. Pulling a tire off the truck and replacing it is one of those things best not rushed, IMO.

Looking forward to your build !
Isn't that how we learn to swim and ride bikes? Jump in the deep end (or get thrown, up to you), and find a steep hill?

dxhend2

@tacosauce Welcome to the club and good luck! I jumped in the deep end last year for the first time - did an auction FMTV recovery from Minnesota to San Diego. Made the trip with my wife and son (great crew!), had some breakdowns along the way, and a TON of help from many kind souls here on SS! Well worth it - was a great experience. Please keep us posted as you make your way west.
Where in SoCal are you based? There are a few of us doing (or have done) RV conversions around; definitely would like to connect.

tacosauce

@tacosauce Welcome to the club and good luck! I jumped in the deep end last year for the first time - did an auction FMTV recovery from Minnesota to San Diego. Made the trip with my wife and son (great crew!), had some breakdowns along the way, and a TON of help from many kind souls here on SS! Well worth it - was a great experience. Please keep us posted as you make your way west.
Where in SoCal are you based? There are a few of us doing (or have done) RV conversions around; definitely would like to connect.
Thanks! Would love to connect. I'm in Orange County.

tacosauce

Just finished a blowout change. 1 hour.

Pss, pss, pss, pss, "What's that sound?" Pss, pss, bum, bum, bum.

I need at least 2 tires. Around South Hill now and heading down the 85.

Attachments

dxhend2

@tacosauce You underway again on four round wheels? When you get to CA, will you be coming in via I-8/I-5, or across by I-10? If you're taking the southern route, would be glad to meet you along the way in SD county.

tacosauce

@tacosauce You underway again on four round wheels? When you get to CA, will you be coming in via I-8/I-5, or across by I-10? If you're taking the southern route, would be glad to meet you along the way in SD county.
Yes, back underway, thanks!

Planning on going through Phoenix and taking the 10, but as we know, plans change. I'd love to meet up. We can discuss it through PMs :)

This truck is kicking my butt. The most fun I've had in a long time. Today we changed a bad tire and I sliced my fingers on the beadlock while twisting it to get it into the new tire. I had my nitrile gloves on and should have changed out to the leather ones for this part.

Last edited:

19Detail

Yes, back underway, thanks!

Planning on going through Phoenix and taking the 10, but as we know, plans change. I'd love to meet up. We can discuss it through PMs :)

This truck is kicking my butt. The most fun I've had in a long time. Today we changed a bad tire and I sliced my fingers on the beadlock while twisting it to get it into the new tire. I had my nitrile gloves on and should have changed out to the leather ones for this part.
When they say baptism by fire, they mean baptism by fire and blood...
Also, there is no shallow end to this pool.

Keep a log of your trip too. So much is going to happen you will soon forget. Who did you sucker in to going with you?

tacosauce

When they say baptism by fire, they mean baptism by fire and blood...
Also, there is no shallow end to this pool.

Keep a log of your trip too. So much is going to happen you will soon forget. Who did you sucker in to going with you?
My college son is with me. It's been the best time with him. I wouldn't want to do it alone. He's such a huge help.
We're near Houston now and getting ready to head out. My friends from high school hosted us for a couple days (it was only supposed to be one day). Things are looking up!
I'll try to post more often, but there's a lot going on.20200105_081608.jpg20200104_151143.jpg20200104_164955.jpg

Last edited:

tacosauce

Planning to be in Yuma in a few hours. Taking the 8 to SD then North if anyone wants to say hi. Will be in Poway around 6

Last edited:

AllenF

Made it home! I've lived in the same house for 15 years and just this week I've met lots of neighbors for the first time. No end to the curiosity

Build out to commence.
Where abouts in SoCal do you live? I'm in Riverside. I have a M 1083. If you want to talk and or gawk let me know;)

pkl2fly

fixer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the community!

I went through this process a few years ago (only had to road march from Barstow to San Diego, though). My vehicle has its VIN tag intact and readable and I received a Florida title from Gov Liquidation when they had the DLA contract for vehicles. I went to a local DMV registration service and let her work her magic. Basically, find a service agent that is willing to do the work and knows the local CADMV bureaucrats. It took maybe a month and a half to get a final registration as a motor coach. Insurance the first year was painful since I didn't yet have the finished registration as a motorhome and insured it as a commercial truck (abut $1300/yr) since then I've used Progressive RV insurance at about 250/yr liability only and annual DMV fee is $197.

So far campervan has made about 14000 miles of trips around SOCAL as far North as Mono lake and East to Yuma area...mostly Anza Borrego Desert trails.

Recommended service items: (1. Change the fuel filter and the fuel/water separator. (2. If tires have any checking, pay the $$$ and get a NOS set from GovPlanet (likely they will be on MRAP rims which require demount and removal of the run-flat inserts). I took mine to a commercial tire shop and let them tackle it. (3. Check drive shaft "hinging" (tolerance is essentially .000) and pay the money to have them rebuilt (<$2k) there are many tales of woe regarding vibration of engine accessories (especially the alternator) which I firmly believe is primarily due to drive-line issues. (4. Check the hubs for oil level and fluid condition. (5. Cab air shocks - check if they're leaking, you'll know instantly if the valve is on. Another pricey parts set, but available. (6. Inspect the PDP for CB condition, if any are not holding just buy a set of blade type fuses to keep on hand. Also doesn't hurt to have a couple of spare relays also (12v and 24v) given the likely age of most of them. These are only a few of many potential items, paranoia is not a bad trait.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about build-out or operation, also have an older posting regarding the build.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks