• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV as an RV in California

coachgeo

..... (3. Check drive shaft "hinging" (tolerance is essentially .000) and pay the money to have them rebuilt (<$2k) there are many tales of woe regarding vibration of engine accessories (especially the alternator) which I firmly believe is primarily due to drive-line issues....
hopefully that is a big over estimation. I had an all new shaft made for my rear at a driveline shop that also did a fair volume of big rigs too . Rear alone was only 600 will all new parts from scratch.

Last edited:

pkl2fly

fixer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hopefully that is a big over estimation. I had an all new shaft made for my rear at a driveline shop that also did a fair volume of big rigs too . Rear alone was only 600 will all new parts from scratch.
My rebuild of both front and rear was $1288, so that spounds pretty much in line with the industry norm.
Two factors: 1. I had the whole set done by a notoriously good shop with all new Spicer parts. 2. I'm in CA and have to pay CA prices...
The difference was amazing - I'd mistakenly thought all of the vibes were coming from the tires, they weren't.
Another note: The drive-line guy pointed out that these drive shafts are not really heavy duty and should NOT be run at the top end as it will wear them out pretty quickly. You could replace the yokes coming out of the TXFR case and "overbuild" the drive-line. I have a self imposed speed limit of about 50 MPH on the highway. (BTW the tires are only rated at 55 MPH) food for thought for the "high speed gearing" crowd. Although I do try to observe the upper CTIS speed limit off road.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

(BTW the tires are only rated at 55 MPH) food for thought for the "high speed gearing" crowd.
I think that the 55 mph rating is only on the Michelin "may pops" and ZXLs. Pretty sure that the Goodyears are rated well beyond 55mph for highway. Of course you always want to adjust your speed with any load scenario.

Thanks for the reply. I'm about to own my first one so I'm learning a lot.

If I understand you correctly, the CTIS simply notifies you with an informative warning and then inflates accordingly. However, it doesn't govern the speed or limit the truck, correct?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Thanks for the reply. I'm about to own my first one so I'm learning a lot.

If I understand you correctly, the CTIS simply notifies you with an informative warning and then inflates accordingly. However, it doesn't govern the speed or limit the truck, correct?

correct. there is ways to modify the ctis control module for higher pressures. been discussed in here. Some have gone full manual control, others have modified via transducers...... others have done hybrid

pkl2fly

fixer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X-C mode on the CTIS has a 40 MPH speed alert on the dash ACP. That's pretty quick on the washboard, but the ride is smooth.

As for tires, campervan is running on Michelin XZLs which have proven to be fantastic in sand and pretty effective in steep and loose in Sand-Mud mode.

DSC06897.JPG
Death Valley - West side road South of Badwater basin.

X-C mode on the CTIS has a 40 MPH speed alert on the dash ACP. That's pretty quick on the washboard, but the ride is smooth.

As for tires, campervan is running on Michelin XZLs which have proven to be fantastic in sand and pretty effective in steep and loose in Sand-Mud mode.

View attachment 788921
Death Valley - West side road South of Badwater basin.
This is awesome. I'm so excited to finally pick up a 1083 that I think I'm gonna pee my pants.

tacosauce

I'm stuck at this point. A CHP vin officer told me off road only in California. Doesn't matter if it is an RV.
No vin verifiers can touch it since DMV processed it with referral to CHP.

pkl2fly

fixer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I did about 5 years ago. I went to a private registration agent who knows the system and the inspectors at DMV. NOT CHP. She told me to be patient and it took about a month and a half. She looked inside and verified that it had a bed, a toilet and a kitchen. Then I waited. Whatever it cost was worth not having to deal with the bureaucrats and so far I haven't had a single issue or challenge. If I do, I'm moving to Wyoming, so there.

You must look for the agent who is willing to go the extra mile. Might take some doing. Don't give up, it is worth it. PM me if you want to get into more technical stuff.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm stuck at this point. A CHP vin officer told me off road only in California. Doesn't matter if it is an RV.
No vin verifiers can touch it since DMV processed it with referral to CHP.
Unfortunately CHP officers think they know everything about what they are doing. Mine thought the same until I informed him what the DMV rules were snd that he was only needed to look for the vin number. Also, he verified the emissions sticker on top of the motor. I also had a long wait for Chp to do that thing so Dmv gave me a temporary operating permit until Chp did their thing with an option of extending it. The form the dmv gives you should line out what the Chp is to do.
Blair.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are you going to the CHP? You don't need to. There's a person at the DMV that will do your VIN verification.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
You will be sent to CHP to verify vin. As the trucks do not have a proper vin they will verify it doesn’t and assign the serial number as the vin. Plus the fact that typically these trucks come from out of state kicks them to Chp as well.
blair

You will be sent to CHP to verify vin. As the trucks do not have a proper vin they will verify it doesn’t and assign the serial number as the vin. Plus the fact that typically these trucks come from out of state kicks them to Chp as well.
blair
Weird. I went to the DMV and had it done in 10 minutes.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weird. I went to the DMV and had it done in 10 minutes.

I wish that was the way it happened. I think it was 2-3 months waiting for an appointment. Crappy thing was the amount of time spent doing it. I hate the DMV...
Blair

I wish that was the way it happened. I think it was 2-3 months waiting for an appointment. Crappy thing was the amount of time spent doing it. I hate the DMV...
Blair
I didn't make an appointment. Just drove to my local office, waited in line about 10 minutes. She looked and signed it off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks