• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV at DRMO, spec's? Engine?

No, they sure dont. Ill take a picture of the data plate tomorrow when I get to work. A regular cab 4x4 curb weight is around 18000 pounds. The up armored trucks we have are around 23000 pounds.
I posted the specs in a picture below and you can clearly see that weight for the M-1078 is less than you are stating.

My original numbers were low because I converted the specs listed on another site and I failed to convert properly from metric tons (what the site had the weight listed in) to short tons. Hence, the reason why I was off by about 10%.

The second site I found, which is better than the one I linked above, is HERE,

Please do take that picture. Is the truck you are referring to a base model like the one pictured below (like the OP is referring to) or is it some variant that perhaps weighs more? Sure it's not an MTV?

Attachments

DSD277

I hate the web:mad:.. so much mis information and people repeating it! My 1996 M1094 has a mechanical engine and IS NOT computer controled. It does have a TPS for the Allison World Trans, which is computer controled... I don't care to think how many times someone repeated something on the FMTVs that just wasn't true. If I had listened to the "experts", I would have never touched mine.
The trucks aren't perfect, but you need to have a mechanic that doesn't think he's smarter than the engineers.:roll:
The attached pdf's are from the TM

Attachments

I hate the web:mad:.. so much mis information and people repeating it! My 1996 M1094 has a mechanical engine and IS NOT computer controled. It does have a TPS for the Allison World Trans, which is computer controled... I don't care to think how many times someone repeated something on the FMTVs that just wasn't true. If I had listened to the "experts", I would have never touched mine.
The trucks aren't perfect, but you need to have a mechanic that doesn't think he's smarter than the engineers.:roll:
The attached pdf's are from the TM
Cool. If you take out the 1,000 lbs that the TM added (see footnote) for crew and fuel, you have the same weight that I listed.

I'm with you. I think that these trucks have unfairly gotten a bad wrap because of all the misinformation out there. That and people are set in their ways and don't like change.

DSD277

I'm with you. I think that these trucks have unfairly gotten a bad wrap because of all the misinformation out there. That and people are set in their ways and don't like change.
I remember in the '70s the same thing with EFI.
Now the reverse is true, how many know carbs?:-D

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info, one of our two mechanics used to be a field mechanic for Stewart and Stevenson for several years before he worked for the county, but I haven't seen him to get his opnion yet.

Yes, we have ridden in a lot of cab-overs.
SEAFIRE, if you are going to go in on one, take that S&S mechanic and have him do at least a 10/20 inspection of the truck. Also, realize that this type of cab-over will act differently than a E-One or other fire truck chassis cab over. They are odd beasts.

going back over this thread and back to my point. If your trucks are still running fine and you really don't have any issues with them, what's the deal with this truck? is it a need as in you foresee your fleet needing significant overhaul in the next few years? Is there a requirement that the current fleet can't fulfill? is there a need to add on to your current fleet? or... Is this the newest and coolest and we want one? The LMTVs are capable trucks. you are going to need to watch your balance, or maybe add some type of counterweight, or only have certain guys drive it. Outfitting the truck will be an adventure that I can only request pictures!!! Also, replacement parts may be easier for your operation due to the official nature. (you guys still order through the gov system, right? - if not, see DSD and the other current MTV actions going on...)

In the end, it's up to you. If you need it, and it fulfills your need go ahead. If you want it, then it's up to your dept. If it's a luxury, what else could that money be spent on that needs to happen?

I'm curious as to what it is that makes these heavier than a deuce and a half (M35A2/A3). I mean, with less tires, one less axle, a shorter frame, and "cheap" construction, common sense would lead you to believe that it would weigh less but it actually weighs quite a bit more. Any thoughts?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the wiring for the sensors!

I have a long time friend in the Guard here, and he says his units LMTV's and MTV's spend 85% of their time down for one reason or another, usually something simple (bad sensor, relay, wiring issue) yet takes awhile to diagnosis and correct. He said this has been true of brand new trucks as well. They have had several shipped from the factory, that wouldn't even start or stay running long enough to drive them off the trailer.

Your mileage may vary.

Mercunimog404

Banned
I posted the specs in a picture below and you can clearly see that weight for the M-1078 is less than you are stating.

My original numbers were low because I converted the specs listed on another site and I failed to convert properly from metric tons (what the site had the weight listed in) to short tons. Hence, the reason why I was off by about 10%.

The second site I found, which is better than the one I linked above, is HERE,

Please do take that picture. Is the truck you are referring to a base model like the one pictured below (like the OP is referring to) or is it some variant that perhaps weighs more? Sure it's not an MTV?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364920217.051682.jpg

DSD277

I'm curious as to what it is that makes these heavier than a deuce and a half (M35A2/A3). I mean, with less tires, one less axle, a shorter frame, and "cheap" construction, common sense would lead you to believe that it would weigh less but it actually weighs quite a bit more. Any thoughts?
I can't say anything on the Deuce ( and won't because I don't want to make any "mis-quotes":p)....but from the TM, the LMTV standard cab weighs approx 1400 lbs and a 1081 (AO) cab weighs approx 1700 lbs ( fully fitted for takeoff). Tires weigh in at 340lbs each. Someone else can give a number for the weight of a conventional cab, fenders and hood.

Though I haven't seen any numbers, the spare tire station , framing and spreader bars must add some considerable weight ( since the whole front of the truck's weigh t is supported from here when lifted by a sling)

Mercunimog404

Banned

I have a long time friend in the Guard here, and he says his units LMTV's and MTV's spend 85% of their time down for one reason or another, usually something simple (bad sensor, relay, wiring issue) yet takes awhile to diagnosis and correct. He said this has been true of brand new trucks as well. They have had several shipped from the factory, that wouldn't even start or stay running long enough to drive them off the trailer.

Your mileage may vary.
I find the opposite to be true. I'm in a maintenance unit and my buddy is a full time mechanic and he said they are reliable trucks.

SEAFIRE

SEAFIRE, if you are going to go in on one, take that S&S mechanic and have him do at least a 10/20 inspection of the truck. Also, realize that this type of cab-over will act differently than a E-One or other fire truck chassis cab over. They are odd beasts.

going back over this thread and back to my point. If your trucks are still running fine and you really don't have any issues with them, what's the deal with this truck? is it a need as in you foresee your fleet needing significant overhaul in the next few years? Is there a requirement that the current fleet can't fulfill? is there a need to add on to your current fleet? or... Is this the newest and coolest and we want one? The LMTVs are capable trucks. you are going to need to watch your balance, or maybe add some type of counterweight, or only have certain guys drive it. Outfitting the truck will be an adventure that I can only request pictures!!! Also, replacement parts may be easier for your operation due to the official nature. (you guys still order through the gov system, right? - if not, see DSD and the other current MTV actions going on...)

In the end, it's up to you. If you need it, and it fulfills your need go ahead. If you want it, then it's up to your dept. If it's a luxury, what else could that money be spent on that needs to happen?
Thanks for the information and advice everyone,

bikeman,
We are looking towards the future, we know our M35A2's will not last forever, we had thought about getting one or two M35A3's and putting them in storage for when we started retiring the A2's, but then we saw these. We've also looked at the 900 series 5-tons they have with the super singles.
Our Mechanic who used to work for S&S is the one who picks up stuff at the DRMO yard, he goes over the stuff with a fine tooth comb. We've gotten two deuce engines in the crate, two generators, a forklift the county uses, welding machines, all kinds of stuff there.
I know going to a cab-over off-road truck like a LMTV will be a big challenge, we're just looking at our options.

Thanks again for all the opinions and information.

Last edited:

DSD277

Your mileage may vary.
THIS is a misleading quote. There is no timeframe or WHICH LMTVs or MTVs he is referring to. New?? are we saying 2001,2008 or 2012? P1 or P2? ( new term to me, but saw a reference to P2 for the Oshkosh). The engine and trans are completely different. If a P2, Oshkosh could be going through the same teething problems as SS 15 years ago, and the engine is probably elecronically controlled

I am going from my experience with MY truck so far, and can say after the "fall from the air", any other 'screwup' was a mechanic error or exposure to the elements in NC (an open dash full of snow wasn't good for the main lighting switch:roll:).

I'd like to hear from a mechanic that works on these trucks to tell me if the later BAE also have a mechanical engine or became electronic?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the *new* trucks he was talking about, were the ones that have been delivered in the last year, year and a half to replace the M900 series left in the SC ANG inventory.

I can only assume the *old* LMTVs and MTVs he was refering to were older versions already on hand. I will ask him model numbers and such next time we go out for a beer, and if the engines are truely electronic or not.

Might be the moisture on this coast is screwing with them more, or maybe that the guys working on them in SC are not very good at it? Maybe they only get the trucks built on Monday morning or Friday afternoons? I trust him, just passing on what he told me. I have had only one personal experience with them, and it was an MTV parked in the way of a truck I was picking up in Eastover. Couldn't get it to run, even though they had parked it there like an hour before. After much jiggling of the relays and breakers on the panel on the pass side dash, and a slave from a HET, did the NG guys finally get it to start. But then it would die as soon as the slave cable was pulled, even though it had new batteries. The two mechanics present pretty much reitereated my buddies disdain for the trucks.

You can have 100 trucks off the assembly line in a single day, 60 are great, 20 so so, and 20 just pure crap. It happens.

DSD277

Seafire,
Your SS mechanic should have no problem sourcing parts for these trucks. He should even already know where to go for everything.
I'd actually would like to talk to him. My conversations and emails with present and past BAE employees has enlighted me to a lot of the FMTV history and thing at the factory in the beginning.

Only a question. Is the payload cap of a LMTV enough? or would a MTV be better?

DSD277

This is for an A1 variant. I was listing the weight for the M-1078 because I believe that the OP was referring to a M-1078, not a M-1078A1. The A1 is heavier, mainly because of its beefier engine and driveline.

Guess we were both right since we weren't talking about the same thing.[thumbzup]
Same engine and trans. A1 has improvements requested by the government..
The dataplate on mine is M1094, but by factory records, its a M1094A1
The 2 additional letters don't add weight, but options like a PTO and winch do. Could have been ordered with troop seats and cover..? Options will change the base weight on a dataplate. No need to spit over a few lbs :):

Same engine and trans. A1 has improvements requested by the government..
The dataplate on mine is M1094, but by factory records, its a M1094A1
The 2 additional letters don't add weight, but options like a PTO and winch do. Could have been ordered with troop seats and cover..? Options will change the base weight on a dataplate. No need to spit over a few lbs :):

Are you sure that the M-1078A1 has the same engine and transmission as a M-1078? See attached for the reason I ask. I am not trying to split hairs. I think that the weight is important though because it all factors into what the payload is on the truck when considering GVWR.

I tell you what though, there are so many variants on these trucks, especially the MTV's, that it makes speaking about specifications a little tricky.

Attachments

DSD277

This goes back to quoting info from the web. Some info is out there to ease bad reps and sell a "newer, better" truck to the public. I only comment on my truck and hate 3rd hand info. I'll wait for a FMTV mechanic to actually say what is what. None of what's in that attached files indicates any major change... a more powerful engine could just be retuning, same with the trans or internal parts were beefed up..? I just wouldn't read anything into a release without documentation to actually spell it out

THE visual things I can say for sure are that there was a new gear selector WTECII to a WTECIII (mine has a II, but believing the factory that my 1996, delivered in '97 truck is a A1) so that isn't a definate change , later trucks had different door latches/handles. Different PDP (power distribution panel) on newer trucks. My new AO doors have different markers than the original ( but old style latches/handles). My truck has some other changes that supposedly makes it a A1 that aren't in the original TMs. I'm not about read more into it. the truck is what it is, and deal with it as such.

Simply put: Do you believe everything the government puts into a press release?.. or the media reports?:roll: .. :lol: