• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV - Brake lights stopped working (Troubleshooing) Follow-Along

Ronmar

Well if you remove K6, and disconnect the brake switch terminals, you should measure 12V on pin 86 of the relay socket and you should see no path to ground on pin 85 Of the K6 relay socket. If you do it is shorted… I think that wire follows the bundle along behind the heater…

Ronmar

I have put together test lights and used meters that have the continuity buzzer that I hook up thru the shorted circuit. Then I start moving wiring, separating, pushing pulling tapping while looking/listening for any indication of a change in the circuit from the tester to get me closer to the fault…

1088logtruck

So I did get it fixed well took the heater out and didn't find any damaged wiring at alll....but then after putting it back together I had 12v at the brake switches and the brake lights worked.

Now I am putting a red arc brake controller and I was pulling brake light signal for it from the output of relay k6. And when I tried to test it the truck just died as soon as I hit the brakes. And I'm basically back where I started. No power to brake switches and now every time you have lights switch on and main pwr on it will blow cb70 almost right away. ....

Anyone have any ideas on what happened?? I feel like I probably pulled brake light signal from the wrong source and fucked something up.....but now if I do get this fixed where do you get signal for the brake controller from.?

Last edited:

1088logtruck

CB70 terminal 4 feeds two 1586 wires, one to px15, (main light switch) and px17 (ignition switch). Could the main light switch be bad?
Ya main light switch was bad you were right but I bypassed it to a regular toggle....now I have power at 2 of the brake switch terminals again but as soon as I hit the brakes it blows cb 70 and cb76 and shuts off....also noticed the lowest of the three 4 pole diodes on the panel melted a little bit.
Really insane building out a whole knuckleboom log truck and the brake lights are what has the whole thing stalled. About ready to burn this thing to the ground and say **** it.

RRaulston

Also of the 2 output wire from relay k6 one has short to ground the other is open. If I remove the grounded wire it won't blow a fuse but still no brake lights. The px15 k wire is short to ground.
px15 is a connector (Main Light Switch), not a wire. (TM 9-2320-366-34-1 (3 of 40)) K is wire 1404. I think 1 k6 wire goes to the light switch and one goes to a large connector on the bumper... Which is grounded? The light switch wire or bumper (j51) wire? Damn, i'm getting confused...

RRaulston

px15 is a connector (Main Light Switch), not a wire. (TM 9-2320-366-34-1 (3 of 40)) K is wire 1404. I think 1 k6 wire goes to the light switch and one goes to a large connector on the bumper... Which is grounded? The light switch wire or bumper (j51) wire? Damn, i'm getting confused...
If you unplug J51, does the fuse blow?

1088logtruck

I got it....but ya ik px 15 is the connector. I meant the k wire on it was shorted. But it ended up being that I had the trailer plug wired wrong and the brake wire was grounded in the trailer plug. It's all fixed again and I pulled 12v signal for the brake controller off of the output on k10 instead of k6 like i had it. Now it's all working again 💪. Thankyou for the help.

The rest of the wiring I'm doing (strobes, work lights, pto switch, radio, egt boost and trans gauges) won't be tied into the trucks system except to pull power and ground so I shouldn't have any more problems with this stupid brake circuit haha.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks