• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Cab Suspension Airbags Alternative

Third From Texas

Put your helmet back on ! The reason the coil over shock was mentioned is 2 fold ! A. when i saw the picture 2 things came to mind that i wondered if that shock would fit on my AO truck and B. the circular sise of that coil spring looks close enough to use in place of a airbag but in a smaller gauge spring i want my cab to have some movement that a spring could do just fine instead of rideing around with the cab pinned and jarring your teeth out was my observation !
I track, just saying that the coil over is not related to the cab air.

With or w/o cab air, I could run either the standard of the coilover shock. Same, same (just one is way stiffer). It's not related to the cab float (as there is none). For that matter, it's unrelated to trucks with or w/o cab float.

The cab is suspended (or in the case of the A1R, not suspended) independently from the suspension.

If you simply added a coil over shock, you are still not effecting cab float no matter if it's an A0 or A1R.

Third From Texas

And yes, I understand you are talking about replacing the airbags with shocks.

I'm just making a generalization here so people understand the cab and chassis suspension changes to the A1R are unrelated. The coil over has nothing to do with t he lack of air ride.

:)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And yes, I understand you are talking about replacing the airbags with shocks.

I'm just making a generalization here so people understand the cab and chassis suspension changes to the A1R are unrelated. The coil over has nothing to do with t he lack of air ride.

:)
Copy were both on the same page of why the the coil over shock is on the truck for the truck suspention i dont want a shock absorber of any kind or air bag i wanted just that style of coil spring by itself to replace my air bags and the cab rest on just the coil spring

Third From Texas

Copy were both on the same page of why the the coil over shock is on the truck for the truck suspention i dont want a shock absorber of any kind or air bag i wanted just that style of coil spring by itself to replace my air bags and the cab rest on just the coil spring
You'd want to start with the full weight of the cab (occupants, ac, stereos, etc). You'd base your coil weight from that: (x - pivot relief)/2

Or something along those lines with math and dollar signs involved.

;)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'd want to start with the full weight of the cab (occupants, ac, stereos, etc). You'd base your coil weight from that: (x - pivot relief)/2

Or something along those lines with math and dollar signs involved.

;)
The reason i havnt tacked this task is i want to build a nerf bar rack for the cab and until its bolted on i wont have a true weight of the back of the cab till i know the thickness of the pipe and sise and as far as passenger weight im figureing 230 lbs thats 2 115 lbs strippers / 9 monthes of the year and thats 1 fat girl in the coldest winter mo. unlike you thin skined southern Texas boys cant take the cold weather you just need to keep some fatgirl phone numbers just in case your wind/solar power electric grid shiets the bed again this winter

Ronmar

Here's a better pic of the cab air delete on the A1R trucks.

The "floating hoop" is gone as are the bags and mounts. A brace is mounted to the back of the cab and the same cab latch mechanism is used.

The cab is rigid to the frame (the suspension seat upgrade provided any "kush ride" and they actually did as good a job as the air ride, IMO).

*You'll note that my cab latch has a set of bushings and they are pretty crusty...
View attachment 848173
Ok I see what they did, they shifted the lower cab latch to the mid structure and added that arch support to distribute the load across the back if the standard cab… that would be a bit of work to convert to a air suspension cab…

abfisher1798

well this looks interesting..... So interesting I just canceled my order for the ones just above and purchased below kit instead with thoughts that any future repairs needed will be significantly less costly. ...

2909A000 made by cabmate

BUTTT it is sold as being for a sleep cab so I do not know if it will be heavy duty enough. Suggest adding limit strap so if in an accident you for sure have extra security that this wont pull apart, ripping the cab off the chassis. Then again... hmm... might be better to let the cab come off and the heavy truck keep rolling away..... Maybe put an ejection system to just jettison the cab away from the big heavy truck that just wants to crush you lol

found this for about 400 bucks on both fleabay and an air suspension truck supplier
Please update us on this project. I'm curious to know the ease of installation and performance.

Thanks.

mauinate

an issue occurred to me... both OEM bag setup and maybe this one too ..... sticks out enough from chassis that larger tires (14's maybe... and 16's for sure) can rub them. hopeeeeefully it has a shorter bag since the shock is outboard. shorter bag should raise the widest point of the whole shebang (air bag base) up more giving more clearance for taller tire
How did this work out for you Geo? Thanks!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any other tricks to getting the bag off the lower mount? Mine won't budge.
Here's what I did to get it apart. I used a chisel to break the band holding the old airbag to the metal collar. That let me pull the old air bag off to expose just the collar. I then used the chisel gently in the crevice between the collar and bottom cup portion, to tap/wedge/pry them apart. A little more prying and chiseling and the collar came off pretty easy.
LMTV Cab Air Bag Removal 3Dec2021.jpg

Last edited:

mauinate

So my source is a grumpy old guy at a shop that doesn't have any interest in shipping. I'm happy to help source these and forward them onto guys that need them, I just was asked to keep him out of it so that he doesn't get any grumpier :)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, I just couldn't find any anywhere...

This thread details where to find them. Call Jeff at this place... https://www.perfectionequipment.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks