• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Cab Suspension Airbags Alternative

Reed423

I recently added a lot more weight onto the cab of my LMTV and when I lowered it down last week. I could hear one of the airbags hissing. After inspecting the bottom side of both bags I could see that they were also dry rotted and one has oil leaking around it. These bags are obviously hard to find or ridiculously expensive, so I was thinking I could just bypass the bags completely and weld on some cab suspension shocks from some other type of truck. Maybe ones that have about the same type of footprint. Same travel distance and tension setting as the original air bags. I feel like might have already been done by somebody, so I’m hoping I can get a part recommendation. A lot of big rig cab suspension shocks look about the same size. Any help would be great! I have turned my LMTV into a mobile DJ truck and so I need to get this problem solved so I can continue to book gigs.

coachgeo

a kit just came out to replace the bags with an easy to find bag and shock. Includes new brackets, limiting strap..... shocks, airbag, billet? spacers. Seller is not a member here.... only on Lmtv Mtv group page on facebook :shrugs:

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that system is well engineered if not pricey at $1,000 ea. That being said, it looks great and all parts easily replaced. The stock used bags that do show up are listed at premium prices, and appear
to have be unavailable from what I read.

Pointman

Ronmar

Maybe you could find an automotive suspension airbag of a similar diameter. height could be adjusted by a spacer so not as important.
The problem isnt the bag, its the integrated shock absorber/restraint system inside the bag that they chose for the LMTV. There are lots of bags suitable for the weight, but It cant be replaced by just a bag.

FloridaAKM

I replaced both airbags & posted here when I got them & the prices. I believe it was less than $350.00 delivered. I will see if I can find the thread & reference it here!

FloridaAKM

No, $350.00 for both units including shipping,freight! They came from Firestone thru an authorized distributer.

Found it, it was Perfection Equipment & Jeff was the contact parts guy. It took seven weeks to get the airbags, but worth it.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to see a write up on this repair.. int, Hint... :mrgreen:

Pointman
It really is a simple job as FloridaAKM said. Summary: Jack up cab to get it out of the way and take weight off the "yoke". Disconnect the air line behind the air bag housing. Remove the four bolts/nuts at the top of the housing, and 4 bolts/nuts at the bottom. Lift the end of the yoke up and tilt the bag assembly out.

I had some pictures of bag assembly but can't find them. It's fairly straightforward except maybe the cross pin removal. Remove the C-clip and push the cross pin out.

Do not cut the bands that hold the rubber bag. It's not necessary. Once the cross pin is out of the upper shock ring, pull the bag end out. There's a metal ring on the end of the bag that slides off the shock. This is probably the most "not obvious" step.

The bags I have worked on still had good anti-seize on the interface.

I will keep looking for pictures.

FloridaAKM

Yes & ask for Jeff as he personally took my order & shipped the airbags to me. Firestone will not sell direct to the public, they sell thru an authorized distributer which Perfection is the first one on the list. I believe that the units were $139 plus freight each & they were ordered in April or early May.

coachgeo

Yes & ask for Jeff as he personally took my order & shipped the airbags to me. Firestone will not sell direct to the public, they sell thru an authorized distributer which Perfection is the first one on the list. I believe that the units were $139 plus freight each & they were ordered in April or early May.
just the bag pre clamped onto the big black cap correct... does not include the shock??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks