• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Cargo Cover install questions

jpinst

I am putting a tarp and bows on my LMTV. It's the later style so the bows are all multi-piece that click together like camping tent poles (instead of the older one piece).

I got the poles together with no problem. I also got the tarp/cover on.

I just cannot figure out how to secure the tarp with the straps inside. Also I need to tie down the poles to the truck body with the straps that are attached to the front and back poles. My TM's a show how to install the older style tarps so no use for me.

Please help. Any photos would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

FloridaAKM

Are you tying it to the top bar or the bottom bar? It looks as if you strap it to the bottom bar, all will be taunt enough for it not to sag & collect water. Try doing the corners first to keep it square. At least you have one to work on..

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The straps go down behind the lower bar, back up and through the buckle. The extra hanging strap, which will be facing you and hangs over the buckles in the pictures, is used to secure the sides of the tarp if you roll up the sides. When you roll up the sides, those extra straps go under the rolled up part and through the plastic buckles on the outside of the tarp. If you roll up the sides, roll it so the roll is facing inside the bed, so it won't collect rain water. I can try to get a pic if you really need it, but it might take me a few days. The metal buckles on mine are pretty rusty due to the straps holding moisture. One day I hope to make some stainless replacements or something. If you never plan to roll the sides up, the tension from the rubber rope will hold the whole thing down so you don't have to use the other straps just for the frame. Of course don't hold me liable if you leave those off and your tarp frame flies off, ha ha! Mine were not installed when I bought it and I haven't put them on yet...but I never roll the sides up either.

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The straight poles are the horizontal supports that run between the U shaped uprights and they should have spring loaded little pins or nubs (whatever they are called) that lock into the holes on the squared flange mount tabs on those uprights. The pieces with the formed eyes on the end are bows or supports to help keep the cover from sagging in between the uprights and horizontal bars. My cover frame is missing those and when it rains, the cover will sag and create big water pools. Maybe those will be enough to prevent that. Looks like each one would span from one side to the other, going over the center support pole. Two for the front section and two for the rear section.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yuck she has the first gen setup. No spring loaded nubs. Assembling this would be difficult if you had 8 arms. The tubes go between the uprights, and at the same time through the wrapped ends of the leaf spring looking pieces. Check the TM for a procedure.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Yuck she has the first gen setup. No spring loaded nubs. Assembling this would be difficult if you had 8 arms. The tubes go between the uprights, and at the same time through the wrapped ends of the leaf spring looking pieces. Check the TM for a procedure.
Haven't been able to find it in the TM's yet. We are working 4 jobs between the two of us reading time is scarce.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The straight poles are the horizontal supports that run between the U shaped uprights and they should have spring loaded little pins or nubs (whatever they are called) that lock into the holes on the squared flange mount tabs on those uprights. The pieces with the formed eyes on the end are bows or supports to help keep the cover from sagging in between the uprights and horizontal bars. My cover frame is missing those and when it rains, the cover will sag and create big water pools. Maybe those will be enough to prevent that. Looks like each one would span from one side to the other, going over the center support pole. Two for the front section and two for the rear section.
You are correct. If the spreaders are missing you can weave 550 cord back and forth.

Third From Texas

Having the OEM 4 bows can still allow water to pool on the cover, so I've always double up and made an extra set. Another pro tip (if you leave your canopy frame on full time) is to throw a ziptie around the bar at each side of the bow. It will prevent the bows from sliding around which can result in rust and allow water to pool badly up top (which stretches the cover).

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Well we have been side tracked with our trailer project and the air dryer debacle, but Soldier A did finish the day by starting the bow set clean up. Since this truck is going to be such a critical part of our future he won't put anything on it unless it's new or like new. So, he's taking everything to bare metal.

Attachments

Third From Texas

Well we have been side tracked with our trailer project and the air dryer debacle, but Soldier A did finish the day by starting the bow set clean up. Since this truck is going to be such a critical part of our future he won't put anything on it unless it's new or like new. So, he's taking everything to bare metal.
Tell him to get four additional flat bows (either fab them or buy them). Totally worth it to not have the canvas top sagged halfway to the bed after a rain storm. And find a way (zipties is what I use) to keep the bows from sliding fore/aft.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might recommend that you replace the round poles with aluminum or stainless steel. On mine the cargo cover straps rub the paint off those poles and will also hold moisture like condensation and such. Mine have rust spots where the straps have rubbed. A few of the rust spots are a little crusty. A few of the metal buckles on those straps have rusted through and broken off. The cover is still in great shape though. I moved my cargo cover to the trailer when I converted my truck so it isn't as much of a concern now.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Okay so I have not been able to find the T M pages showing how to install the boat cover set properly and I've read hundreds of pages already. Continuing the cleanup of my bow set sold your a says these straps are toast I can't figure out what they are for.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay so I have not been able to find the T M pages showing how to install the boat cover set properly and I've read hundreds of pages already. Continuing the cleanup of my bow set sold your a says these straps are toast I can't figure out what they are for.
Those straps attach the bows to the cargo bed so a gust of wind doesn’t parachute the entire bed cover up and away bows and all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks