• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Crane / LMHC

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that was a great find sir! I’m glad to see it was so well preserved and was easy to assemble and get operational.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It turned up, along with a wheel I was looking for. I have to say - wow. What a dream come true. It looks like this one is ~12 years old. I had no idea if it would be complete, it was. When I opened the crate a lot of the boxes were wet and molded but when I opened them I realized each contained another vacuum sealed bag and another box. So everything was pristine and perfect. Like opening a time capsule.

It says two man lift but I was able to assemble it myself, but I'm a pretty big guy. A big tip I have for this is put the turrent adapter onto the boom FIRST then lift the entire assembly and place it onto the upright. If you try to do it the other way around it's an exercise in frustration. Also they CARC'd everything and the holes were only the right I.D. before the paint, so you really have to bang the things together at first. Once the paint comes off it's more reasonable.

Powered right up. So cool! I had some worries about clearances and whatever (especially w/ the top and bows) because there is so little information about these things, but everything clears perfectly, including the winch. With the boom at full extension it fits perfectly horizontally across the bed.
Not going to lie, I'm jealous!

aleigh

So am I seeing this correctly? There is a manual crank to swing the crane boom left or right? Pretty cool.
That's right. If the pin is removed you can just push and pull the crane which is a lot faster, or with the pin in, it ratchets. I thought it was a weird feature until I tried to load tires yesterday and realized that with the boom horizontal it wasn't high enough to get a tire in. I have a cover on the truck and didn't want to raise the boom up but I realized I could just lift the tire then ratchet the crane to "drag" it onto the bed a little. This was good enough for loading wheels although I'm going to have to actually tip it up to load crates, in which case I need to take the cover off.

Your choice of handle lengths too. I have both, luckily!

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 6.24.19 AM.png

Last edited:

Aernan

That's right. If the pin is removed you can just push and pull the crane which is a lot faster, or with the pin in, it ratchets. I thought it was a weird feature until I tried to load tires yesterday and realized that with the boom horizontal it wasn't high enough to get a tire in. I have a cover on the truck and didn't want to raise the boom up but I realized I could just lift the tire then ratchet the crane to "drag" it onto the bed a little. This was good enough for loading wheels although I'm going to have to actually tip it up to load crates, in which case I need to take the cover off.

Your choice of handle lengths too. I have both, luckily!

View attachment 707817
Wow great hardware. I want one now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

M1078-N-VA

I just bought one of these cranes and of course it is incomplete. I'm missing the breaker box and electrical from the battery connection up to the winch control box. Could you send me some pictures of the breaker box (inside of it as well) and what ever else you think would be useful for me to source and or build these items?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The breaker box on the left side of the crane? With the on off switch? Its a few relays. The outrigger down sensors trigger relays in the box that allows the second control bank to be engaged. There is a schematic of the box in one of the TMs. I would try sourcing one I think it would be a big project to make one. If you wanted to bypass the outrigger down safety system it would be easier to make something that would work.

aleigh

heh, what outriggers? this is the portable crane. The box he is talking about is on a NATO power pigtail that plugs into the NATO slave on the side of the truck. It's basically a fuse box with an amphenol for a very expensive looking cable that runs to the crane when you want to use it.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought one of these cranes and of course it is incomplete. I'm missing the breaker box and electrical from the battery connection up to the winch control box. Could you send me some pictures of the breaker box (inside of it as well) and what ever else you think would be useful for me to source and or build these items?
There's basically nothing in the box. It's a lunchbox sized electrical enclosure, with a single circuit breaker inside. Honestly, it's a hassle to have that bulky extra part, and if you are designing your own just put a big Max fuse inline somewhere convenient.

M1078-N-VA

The breaker box on the left side of the crane? With the on off switch? Its a few relays. The outrigger down sensors trigger relays in the box that allows the second control bank to be engaged. There is a schematic of the box in one of the TMs. I would try sourcing one I think it would be a big project to make one. If you wanted to bypass the outrigger down safety system it would be easier to make something that would work.
It is the (small) portable crane, but thanks for responding.

M1078-N-VA

There's basically nothing in the box. It's a lunchbox sized electrical enclosure, with a single circuit breaker inside. Honestly, it's a hassle to have that bulky extra part, and if you are designing your own just put a big Max fuse inline somewhere convenient.
Would you know the fuse size for the crane? Any information on the plugs would be great, so I can source them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks