• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV fan vibration

DKnoll

I brought back a M1078 LMTV from Ft Bragg, NC last month. As the engine gets to 210 degrees, the air valve engages, the fan comes on, horrible vibration sound for 30 seconds, and then the fan cuts off. Drove about 4 hours with this pattern. On I-40 the fan blade finally broke off, fractured my radiator and I had to have a tow the rest of the way to Knoxville. Gov planet denied my claim, saying I drove it more than 50 miles. I've got an attorney working it now. Had the fan and fan clutch replaced, but I still have a louder than expected noise whenever the fan cuts on. any ideas?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan makes a very loud air rushing/roaring sound when engaged.

I guess you now know that when something mechanical makes "horrible vibration sound" it's best to turn it off and investigate. That is a machine's way of crying for help from it's master.

DKnoll

I've had the fan and fan clutch replaced. The truck runs fine, and only gets hot enough to engage the fan after a few minutes of highway driving. When it does engage, there is still a roaring sound more than I would expect. I've got several M939 trucks and also driven CDL trucks, none of which roar like this. Is this sound typical of the LMTV M1078
??

Shark Bait

My LMTV's fan is louder than my 5 tons are. You are sitting overtop the fan versus it being 8 feet in front of you on the others. On commercial trucks you figure there is much better insulation.

Dave

auctionaddict

I brought back a M1078 LMTV from Ft Bragg, NC last month. As the engine gets to 210 degrees, the air valve engages, the fan comes on, horrible vibration sound for 30 seconds, and then the fan cuts off. Drove about 4 hours with this pattern. On I-40 the fan blade finally broke off, fractured my radiator and I had to have a tow the rest of the way to Knoxville. Gov planet denied my claim, saying I drove it more than 50 miles. I've got an attorney working it now. Had the fan and fan clutch replaced, but I still have a louder than expected noise whenever the fan cuts on. any ideas?
The fans are EXTREMELY Loud !!

Wish I could have hired an attorney every time I had a mechanical failure on a recovery (Expecially LMTV's), I would be retired by now !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks