• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1078 3D CAD Model on OnShape

We aren't associated with OnShape in any way, but it is a pretty neat online CAD program AND it's free! We have been making a CAD model of the basic M1078 chassis so that we can design our camper hab to integrate nicely with the truck. We thought we would share the CAD model so that it can be helpful to others in their expedition truck designs.

The CAD model is fairly accurate for our intended use. The truck bed rails and interface areas are probably accurate within 1/8-inch. We included some more aesthetic features like tires, bumpers, and cab to help us visualize how our hab integrates with the overall truck. However, some of these features are less accurate in the CAD model and likely vary from truck to truck, anyway.

This is what is considered a de-featured model in engineering. Many truck components are intentionally omitted to keep the model simple and easy to work with.

Anyway, we hope the model is useful to others, but if you do use it, take it with a grain of salt. If you do use the model, you may find discrepancies between your truck and the model. We do not intend to update this model, so it should just be a stand alone file that people can access for reference in the future.

To use the model, go to OnShape and set up a free user account. Go to the search bar on the website and search for M1078. The search should show the model that we have made public. You won't be able to find the model unless you make an account and are logged in. The model is pretty big, so it will take a few minutes to open. Once it is open, you can model your own habitat, roof racks, and accessories on OnShape, or you can export the model and open it in a program that you may have at home.

M1078 LMTV on OnShape.jpg

We are not sure how well OnShape works with file sharing like this, so if you have trouble opening the model, it just may not work with your computer, internet provider, etc. I am not an OnShape expert, so I probably won't be able to help you if you have trouble.

ramdough

We aren't associated with OnShape in any way, but it is a pretty neat online CAD program AND it's free! We have been making a CAD model of the basic M1078 chassis so that we can design our camper hab to integrate nicely with the truck. We thought we would share the CAD model so that it can be helpful to others in their expedition truck designs.

The CAD model is fairly accurate for our intended use. The truck bed rails and interface areas are probably accurate within 1/8-inch. We included some more aesthetic features like tires, bumpers, and cab to help us visualize how our hab integrates with the overall truck. However, some of these features are less accurate in the CAD model and likely vary from truck to truck, anyway.

This is what is considered a de-featured model in engineering. Many truck components are intentionally omitted to keep the model simple and easy to work with.

Anyway, we hope the model is useful to others, but if you do use it, take it with a grain of salt. If you do use the model, you may find discrepancies between your truck and the model. We do not intend to update this model, so it should just be a stand alone file that people can access for reference in the future.

To use the model, go to OnShape and set up a free user account. Go to the search bar on the website and search for M1078. The search should show the model that we have made public. You won't be able to find the model unless you make an account and are logged in. The model is pretty big, so it will take a few minutes to open. Once it is open, you can model your own habitat, roof racks, and accessories on OnShape, or you can export the model and open it in a program that you may have at home.

View attachment 632663

We are not sure how well OnShape works with file sharing like this, so if you have trouble opening the model, it just may not work with your computer, internet provider, etc. I am not an OnShape expert, so I probably won't be able to help you if you have trouble.
Can I get a chance copy of your model? I did not see a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Can I get a chance copy of your model? I did not see a link. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how to get copy is written in the last paragraph of first post just above pic. Pretty self-explanatory. Link to the program you have to go thru to get it is in the first paragraph though it may be your phone or tablet is not highlighting it?

ramdough

It looks promising. I will have to see if I can export to solid works or another file type.

ramdough

I have the file in solidworks. I wish I had the native file. I cannot edit the downloaded version without some effort.

I have converted the model to resemble a 1083 without the bed and no real dimensions to compare to a real truck. The model was very helpful to start with. Thanks for posting it.

zoti

Has anyone been able to export the model into a different CAD software in one piece? It will only let me export part by part and when I import they are not located in the right place.

The file in the original post is 3D. I've seen it all over the net since I originally made the model, so it seems to be working for people. You can save it off as an IGES or STEP and open it in almost any 3D CAD package.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
SolidWorks users... I would love to build my M1079 out of this....
What file format of the OnShape works best to download?

REDee

I think it would be cool to have a STEP file posted in the ‘sticky’ section - sees like a lot of us could benefit form that!

Thanks, yertnamreg, for posting an alternate way for people to get the model. STEP is a good file format to share. STEP is the original format that I uploaded onto OnShape.

When I originally made that CAD model, I was hopping that it would be helpful for others, so it's really nice to see that people are interested.

Also, it would be cool to see what you all are using the model for. Any screenshots to share?

Cheers,
Michael

ramdough

Thanks, yertnamreg, for posting an alternate way for people to get the model. STEP is a good file format to share. STEP is the original format that I uploaded onto OnShape.

When I originally made that CAD model, I was hopping that it would be helpful for others, so it's really nice to see that people are interested.

Also, it would be cool to see what you all are using the model for. Any screenshots to share?

Cheers,
Michael
Michael,

I have a version I plan to use on my project. Thanks for sharing! Do you have an updated model or a native solidworks version you could share? I would like to make a 6x6 version and having a native file would be much easier.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks