• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1078 Door Pin Switch Install For Dome Lights Mod

Overdrive

Another quick and very cheap mod to add a door pin switch to the LMTV to turn on a dome light.

I quickly realized that in the dark when climbing into the LMTV and getting it fired up was an inconvenience screaming to be addressed.

Not wanting to drill or cut anything I decided to use the little hole in the door jamb to get a pin switch in there to activate some light.

As funny as it sounds a 3/4" electrical box knock out plug fits perfectly in that hole nice and tight.

This is a NO JUDGMENT zone on my inability to drill a hole into the center of a 3/4" plug but those little guys are tricky using a pair of channel locks and a drill press.

pinswitch1.jpg

I grabbed a bag of door switch pins from Amazon and a bag of 3/4" electrical box knock out plugs then went to work. All these types of switches do is complete the ground circuit in a 2 wire setup. When you press the pin in it breaks the ground connection. Pretty simple huh? Well the pins I got are too long as they come, so when you try to close the door it bends the little pin so time for a little modification. On my prototype installed in the pic I cut the blade connector off the back of the pin and cut the plastic pin down a bit then crimped on a new blade connector. Talk about a terrible looking setup but this is the prototype. In the pic of the bag of plugs and additional switches you can see I was able to carefully pry off the end connector instead of cutting it off so I could slide it down further on the plastic pin then re-crimp it.

pinswitch2.jpg

It takes trial and error to get the length right on how far out the pin needs to be to not bend and open the circuit when the door is closed. When I make the final version of the pin I will post a pic.

Also since this works on the ground side of things I added a ring connector and wire around the backside of the switch housing so there are two wires to hookup in between the ground circuit that makes it all work. Hope that makes sense. I didn't want to scrape paint or mess with trying to ground the switch to the hole in the cab which is why I went the 2nd wire route. So with this configuration the ring wire gets routed to a good ground and the switch wire goes to your lights.

You can route the wires inside the hole in the door jamb around to the underside of the dash (its open under there).

I am ashamed to post a pic of the working prototype switch all mangled and ugly but if someone wants to see it let me know and I will add it to this post. ;)

Right now its just the switch with two wires dangling after testing it with a 12v source and test light until I get my aux power wired up for all my switch stuff. I have a covert idea for cab interior lights just for entering the cab at night using this switch that I will post once I get completed.

Thanks,
OD

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
Outstanding project. For myself , I like to think that it's nobody's business who gets in and out of my truck ;-)

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a great idea to use the knockout plug! If you can mark the center of the circle, then use a punch to make a small divot before you drill it, then the bit won't walk around.

Overdrive

Here are the lights I tied to the pin switch. three green 13" LED light strips under the seats. I was going for a very subdued light that would be just enough to see the foot wells when you climb into the LMTV. Kind of hard to see the middle seat light in the pic but I think it turned out well.

I purposely positioned each light strip so you see the light generated but not the LED strip directly. The driver and passenger seat strips I cleaned off the seat frame and placed them on the inside of the frame rail so they shine towards the inside of the cab. The middle seat has a verticle piece on the back side of the frame that the strip stuck to easily. Hope that makes sense :)

Cutequeen 30cm LED Car Flexible Waterproof Light Strip Green (pack of 4)
$7 bucks on Amazon!
door lights 1.jpg
Finished the prototype install and its been working pretty good for a couple of weeks. Will be redoing the pin switch setup for a cleaner install and adding another one to the passenger side door.

Pic of the driver's side looking into the cab standing outside.
door light 1.jpg

pic of the light strip behind the middle seat
door light 2.jpg

I also added two dome lights on a separate switch to my switch panel for full on light. I didn't want these main lights tied into the door pin switches but could have. I may get fancy and paint the body of the lights OD green to match the cab.

The placement worked great lighting up the entire cab as well as lighting behind the seats to see the contents of the tool boxes.
dome light 1.jpg

Pic of the switch panel lit up by the dome lights.

dome light 3.jpg

pic of driver's side toolbox behind the seat
dome light 2.jpg

Got the dome lights from Amazon... RV Porch Light, black
I switched out the incandescent bulbs for LEDs.

RV porch light 001.jpg

OD

Last edited:

Overdrive

Instead of creating another thread let me add these pics too... Added two 4" LED 27W driving lights to the truck as well.
This goes along with my switch box thread. Added a 6 circuit panel and negative bus bar under the CITIS thingy behind the passenger kick panel under the power distribution center.

driving lights 2.jpg
driving lights 1.jpg

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gives me some ideas. Have you tried a white LED strip for interior lighting in place of those two RV porch lights? For a while I used a rechargeable under-hood work light in the cab.

Overdrive

I have several 48" white LED light strips on my jeeps to light up the cargo areas. I thought about it on the LMTV but I have had good luck with these porch light things with LEDs in them so I went that route.

Funny you mention work lights. I had been using the LED HomeDepot +one light with great success as a temp light. I love that thing!