• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1078 dump Truck project

markgjsquires

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone. I have been a long time fanatic for military stuff since I first drove our 1952 GMC army truck on the farm. Since then we have 12 M35a2s and last year purchased an M1078 to make my all around work truck. I had visions of putting a hoist on it. A generator for the odd places. Some tool boxes. A good radio. And so on. First on my list was the hoist and just completed installing it. I didn’t take many pictures. But I did take a couple videos for those who would like to or are at least thinking of putting one on their truck. I couldn’t find any resources online of people who have done so. So I winged it and it turned out pretty good. As always would change somethings but for the most part it installed neat and clean and functions as it should. When I get a load of firewood in it I’ll know for sure but for now. I’ll take it. If anyone has any questions. Ask away. Or sees something wrong let me know. This is my first M1078 so learning as I go.

Thanks.

I will post the videos to you tube. My name on there is blackdirtfarmer so will be under that name.

Attachments

coachgeo

Here is the first video of the installation before I put the rack on. Can see what I did a little better will try getting the other video up this morning
your youtube account includes a editor tool of some sort. You should be able to flip vid sideways with that so everyone does not end up with crooked necks.

your welding is probably better than mine. Just keep your eyes on it. you probably did... but weld the back side too where you can get to it.

does 8ton suffice with your other trucks? Sounds light for how much the bed can hold.
is the pumps you use (at 24 volt) sold with 12/24v motors.... or you just over volt and expect they won't last as long?

Last edited:

markgjsquires

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im Not sure the rating of the other scissor hoists that we have but we’ve used pumps similar to this one that have powered them and they dump 5 or 6 tons of product no problem. I figured with the actual capacity of the axles on this truck that 8 tons would suffice for what I intend to do with it. Others do offer a 24v pump for more money. I have a 12 volt pump in a truck that I have wires for 24v and it’s been working for over 5 years now. It’s not like this is going to be a continuous duty 20 load a day dump truck. And I didn’t want to invest in a transmission PTO and pump. Less I had tons of extra money I don’t find it necessary. If it’s too much weight for the truck though these pumps just go to relief.

I will try to get the video flipped the right way not sure why it did that sorry about that.

coachgeo

Im Not sure the rating of the other scissor hoists that we have but we’ve used pumps similar to this one that have powered them and they dump 5 or 6 tons of product no problem. I figured with the actual capacity of the axles on this truck that 8 tons would suffice for what I intend to do with it. Others do offer a 24v pump for more money. I have a 12 volt pump in a truck that I have wires for 24v and it’s been working for over 5 years now. It’s not like this is going to be a continuous duty 20 load a day dump truck. And I didn’t want to invest in a transmission PTO and pump. Less I had tons of extra money I don’t find it necessary. If it’s too much weight for the truck though these pumps just go to relief.

I will try to get the video flipped the right way not sure why it did that sorry about that.
sounds good.... if it works for your needs..... then all is good. Have maxed out my 6ton truck bed type... mounted inside a M105a trailer so it's much smaller bed..... but then again got it used and abused...so that may be what maxed it out.

Green Mountain Boys

That looks like a nice setup you have.
Putting a hoist on my truck is on my list of things to complete this summer. My M1078 has a self recovery winch so I am hoping I can just use the existing winch controls, put a couple of Ts with manual ball valves into the hydraulic lines for the winch to redirect flow from the winch to the hoist. When I want to use the winch, just open the valves going to the winch and close the valves to the hoist. The only problem I think I could encounter with this setup is if the hydraulic pressure used to power the winch is not enough to power the hoist or the hydraulic flow is too low. I have not yet measured the pressure in the hydraulic lines going to the winch. Has anyone used the hydraulics from a SRW to power anything else?

coachgeo

Here’s the video of the hoist installed and a few last pointers. Also towards the end is a quick clip of what they sound like with a straight pipe. Hope this helps some guys.
cant remember if you addressed it earlier or not.. but when it is down.... do you have anything to help limit side to side movement at the front. Often on Expo campers their is a something that helps give it a port/starboard physical limit. Just thinking that something like that would reduce stress on your hoist mechanism when your cornering, driving on side hill etc.

Think you'll end up liking power down. You can drive while dispensing material with more control with power down IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks