• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv m1078 questions.

Duckworthe

I Also run oil for same reason. However, when it gets really cold out (below 35 deg) I let it warm up a bit more until I drive her. she shifts a little slower with the cold oil. but once it warms up a bit she shifts just fine. I am out in the dunes and sand so I do run her hard most of the time.

snowtrac nome

I'm likely to change to synthetic atf eventually. We had lots of problems with turbo 400's and 3l80's burning front pumps out we determined it came from cold starts. I worry I will suffer the same problems with 15 w40 in mine I need to be able to start and run with out plugging in there isn't always electrical where I may park. plus I plan to change to 5w40 synthetic when my oil change interval comes due. so there wont be any carrying the same oil for me. Up here in the arctic I'm not to worried about heat anyway.

snowtrac nome

The 6th id and ak national guard used oea, I like the idea of the same oil, but no way am I going to get away with it here while still trying to use what Allison recommends.

smokin man

I'm in the process of making the move to Apache County, AZ. Going off grid and need a vehicle that will get me in and out when needed and for runs to the big box store. I considered a deuce, but the LMTV M1078 seems to be the way to go. Beats the 3500 Sprinter I was going to order.

SS WFO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a 1078 and its missing a few parts one of which is a module under the dash passenger side I'm thinking its antilock braking?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a 1078 and its missing a few parts one of which is a module under the dash passenger side I'm thinking its antilock braking?
Nope. ABS, if equipped (A1+) is behind the cab by the hydraulic air pump.

Passenger under dash area lives the TCM, PCU, and the solenoids for radiator fan clutch and power divider.

Ronmar

What year is the truck(always state the year of your truck)? Is your power panel black, or is it a green circuit board? Pre ~98 it could be a vehicle Interface Module(VIM). Post 98 it is probably the trans control module. Pre 98 they put the wtec 2 TCU in with the trans control keypad, and used a VIM module for neutral start and some power distribution/interconnection. Post 98 they did away with the VIM and went to a WTEC3 TCU over where the VIM was located and added relays for neutral start and such to the main power panel.

SS WFO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my 1078 is a 96 the power panel is black ,there is a module there with 3 plugs in it. A blue, black and grey maybe the VIM? I got 3 air lines and a bunch of plug that look like they were plugged into something at one point. I'll try to post a picture

Ronmar

my 1078 is a 96 the power panel is black ,there is a module there with 3 plugs in it. A blue, black and grey maybe the VIM? I got 3 air lines and a bunch of plug that look like they were plugged into something at one point. I'll try to post a picture
Yea a pic would help. They made this truck in several configurations, so there will be unused plugs under the passenger dash(chem detect, radio power, 1079 box harness ect)

Being a 96 it would have, from left to right, a VIM, a turn signal flasher and a solenoid valve for the fan control mounted on the underside of the dash. Below that would be the CTIS Pressure Control Unit with three 1/2” air lines plumbed to it…

the VIM cover looks like the below pic.

IMG_3739.jpeg

SS WFO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like I'm missing the flasher and the CTIS pressure control unit I got 3 air lines 3 different sizes. My VIM has an aluminum housing and it looks like I got a fan solenoid in the upper right ....maybe

Ronmar

The 2 square ones are not used, the white one is also not used, the two round ones are your turn signal flasher(larger 3 pin) and what looks like the PCU pressure sensor(small,3 pin). there is probably a round 5 pin kicking around in there also. The 3 airlines and that pressure sensor line indicate to me you have no CTIS PCU… Do you have a CTIS controller on the dash under the park brake control? The PCU might be kinda spendy. Superman may have one. You might be able to build one using 3 large bore 24v solenoid valves, but I havn’t experimented with this yet…

you should probably start a new discussion instead of dragging this 6 year old dinosaur out of retirement…

SS WFO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no CTIS controller I have seen a few around on eBay. Used ones look pretty beat up. What is the life expectancy on these things?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no CTIS controller I have seen a few around on eBay. Used ones look pretty beat up. What is the life expectancy on these things?
They seem like they last 10-20 years. They have some components inside that fail after a while, but in order to waterproof them the whole box is potted full of epoxy, making it unrepairable and probably hastening the failure.

Here in my signature, I have some info (gathered from these forums) about making a manually operated system. @Plasa also sells an Arduino-based replacement, if the waterproofness/robustness of the original isn't a concern.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks