• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1078 Transmission oil confusion...please help!

alwayskaos

So I just received my M1078 from a DRMO in Hawaii, and all of the vehicles they sell are completely drained of fluid. I flew out there and temporarily got all the fluid up for shipment. My question is, Ive read the procedure to change the fluids, and even watched an informative video. The dipstick shows full, but when I removed the drain plug from the transfer case, only about 3-4 quarts came out. Im scratching my head because the video I watched showed many gallons draining. The dipstick still shows full. Any information would be greatly appreciated:)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So I just received my M1078 from a DRMO in Hawaii, and all of the vehicles they sell are completely drained of fluid. I flew out there and temporarily got all the fluid up for shipment. My question is, Ive read the procedure to change the fluids, and even watched an informative video. The dipstick shows full, but when I removed the drain plug from the transfer case, only about 3-4 quarts came out. Im scratching my head because the video I watched showed many gallons draining. The dipstick still shows full. Any information would be greatly appreciated:)
Cause you didn't remove the correct plug.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
“Alert” there are Two drain plugs!!! Don’t make my mistake, my LMTV also came drained of fluids they also felt it necessary to throw the drain plugs away. Any how I decided to change from motor oil to ATF not knowing there are two drain plugs and I filled mine with ATF and it drove great for about 100 miles then my transmission stopped working…long story short I had to replace the transmission, NOT a fun job.

Ronmar

Yep, the transfer case on most vehicles is an entirely separate animal. On this beast, that is only partially true. The transfer gets fluid fed to it thru the transmission output housing, and they use a scavenger pump on the passenger side pto location on the transmission that pumps fluid back from the transfer thru that hose that connects the two. This keeps the transfer case at a stable level, but they have 2 distinctly separate sumps. As shown, the main transmission has a sump drain on the side of it’s sump casing and the transfer has it’s own drain plug…

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TMs have a lot of info and are located at:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronmar

Yea but in nearly every instance they use the same basic hardware and are serviced in the same way, so even if you have an A1, read the A0 manuals… the biggest difference is electrical, but even there there are a lot of similarities…

alwayskaos

I have the manual, and have followed it. The manual does not say the quantity within the transfer case. The dipstick showed full, but after draining all of the oil from all locations, I only had about 5 gallons. This is only about half of what it should have. The rear driveshaft is missing, but I don't know how that would matter. Either way, I'll fill it and stop thinking about it. If it shows full, it's full. Thanks again everyone!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have the manual, and have followed it. The manual does not say the quantity within the transfer case. The dipstick showed full, but after draining all of the oil from all locations, I only had about 5 gallons. This is only about half of what it should have. The rear driveshaft is missing, but I don't know how that would matter. Either way, I'll fill it and stop thinking about it. If it shows full, it's full. Thanks again everyone!
Only holds 7.5gallons total. The torque converter is still full of fluid. This is why there are multiple drains and refills to transfer from motor oil to atf.

GTUnit

“Alert” there are Two drain plugs!!! Don’t make my mistake, my LMTV also came drained of fluids they also felt it necessary to throw the drain plugs away. Any how I decided to change from motor oil to ATF not knowing there are two drain plugs and I filled mine with ATF and it drove great for about 100 miles then my transmission stopped working…long story short I had to replace the transmission, NOT a fun job.
Why did your tranny die?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks