• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Missing Guages Question

absinthe

New member here.

Looking into an LMTV build and I have found a few in my area on GP, both without Gauge Clusters.

How risky is would it be to bid on one without a Gauge Cluster? How easy would it be to find a replacement? And why do you guys think a gauge cluster would be removed?

Thank you,

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

if its missing the gauge cluster it might also be missing the tcm if a-0 model or shift selector pad if a-1 with a wtec III transmission. I don't think you have to worry too much about the truck but finding the cannablized parts could be a challenge especially a wetcII tcm.

scottmandu

You will have no idea how many miles are on the truck, it could be 3000 or 30000. The 1998 should be a WTECIII the truck without the data plate who knows. The truck without the data plate will likely be difficult if not impossible to register.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the truck is cheap enough and you are brave enough anything can be fixed. Sometimes it’s cheaper in the end to buy complete to begin with though.

spankybear

Also in the Seattle area... I would wait... unless you like a challenge and the "hunt" for parts. They do look like nice truck though...

I got one in March that's not too bad and missing only a couple of parts. The ones listed have many parts missing and the cab isn't tilted to show the motor. Also look at the passenger side and you will see all the fuses and relays missing. Then one has no turret cover...

Things I looked for when I was looking.

1) Doors: Look at the pictures and see that the doors are unmolested
2) Engine: Make sure to take a look at the pictures to see if anything looks like it's missing...
3) Fuse, and cover: Look to see if the cover is in placed and latch. If there a picture with the cover removed look to see if anything looks like it missing. If the cover is in place chances are they didn't take anything. Most people are lazy and will not replace the cover after they took what the needed.
4) Turret cover: It's rains... Big hole in roof, stuff gets wet... Electrical problems and rust
5) Caged Brakes: If the brakes are caged it was towed in.... If not chances are it was driven in... Runner
6) Tires: I wanted all 4 matching and wanted Goodyear. I also looked to see if it had a spare. I wanted that matching also. Side note the truck I got does not match and it really old.
7) Wanted woodland and not desert paint.

Things I leaned since I bought one...
1) Be prepared to win the auction: I was learning the bid mechanics and threw in a low token bid... Well its now sitting in my driveway... ooops... not really price was good.
2) Rust Stain on seat: Turret leaks... Expect rust.
3) Iron Clad isn't really user friendly... You will need to follow the steps EXACTLY to a tee!
4) Non runner will NOT be cheap to move: Don't count on the cheap independent haulers. They are flakes. I was recommend here to use Uship, that worked... but NOT cheap
5) This place: VERY friendly people with lots and lots of good advice... Also good for locating parts.

I am in Snohomish county and could help with what I know...

Last edited:

absinthe

Thanks for your help guys!

After reading your advice, I think I'd rather pay a little more and ensure it runs/drives than have a bunch of headaches later on by taking the risk with a truck that's missing key elements.

absinthe

Also in the Seattle area... I would wait... unless you like a challenge and the "hunt" for parts. They do look like nice truck though...

I got one in March that's not too bad and missing only a couple of parts. The ones listed have many parts missing and the cab isn't tilted to show the motor. Also look at the passenger side and you will see all the fuses and relays missing. Then one has no turret cover...

Things I looked for when I was looking.

1) Doors: Look at the pictures and see that the doors are unmolested
2) Engine: Make sure to take a look at the pictures to see if anything looks like it's missing...
3) Fuse, and cover: Look to see if the cover is in placed and latch. If there a picture with the cover removed look to see if anything looks like it missing. If the cover is in place chances are they didn't take anything. Most people are lazy and will not replace the cover after they took what the needed.
4) Turret cover: It's rains... Big hole in roof, stuff gets wet... Electrical problems and rust
5) Caged Brakes: If the brakes are caged it was towed in.... If not chances are it was driven in... Runner
6) Tires: I wanted all 4 matching and wanted Goodyear. I also looked to see if it had a spare. I wanted that matching also. Side note the truck I got does not match and it really old.
7) Wanted woodland and not desert paint.

Things I leaned since I bought one...
1) Be prepared to win the auction: I was learning the bid mechanics and threw in a low token bid... Well its now sitting in my driveway... ooops... not really price was good.
2) Rust Stain on seat: Turret leaks... Expect rust.
3) Iron Clad isn't really user friendly... You will need to follow the steps EXACTLY to a tee!
4) Non runner will NOT be cheap to move: Don't count on the cheap independent haulers. They are flakes. I was recommend here to use Uship, that worked... but NOT cheap
5) This place: VERY friendly people with lots and lots of good advice... Also good for locating parts.

I am in Snohomish county and could help with what I know...
I've been reading your thread and I am in Snohomish county too.

Maybe one of these days we could meet up and I could take a look at your truck.

If you want to see a nice, complete one in the area, Sultan Fire Department has a LMTV parked at their station.

spankybear

I've been reading your thread and I am in Snohomish county too.

Maybe one of these days we could meet up and I could take a look at your truck.

If you want to see a nice, complete one in the area, Sultan Fire Department has a LMTV parked at their station.
Yes I know about Sultan's brush truck BR52...I remember seeing it when they got it last year. They wanted to update their M35 to something "easier" to drive. Talked to one of the Chiefs or maybe he was a Captain? Anyway he gave a dime tour of the truck. Guess he was the guy to paint it red...

Are you in the Skykomish Valley?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better than waiting for the perfect truck just check the classifieds and buy mine :) You'll know it starts, drives, stops, and already has a title so won't have to mess with an SF97

absinthe

Better than waiting for the perfect truck just check the classifieds and buy mine :) You'll know it starts, drives, stops, and already has a title so won't have to mess with an SF97
I wish I could sir. I'm still in the early stages of convincing my wife we need an LMTV to convert into an overland expedition vehicle... She's not so certain :)

My primary concerns are reliability: (as I will be taking my wife and kids with me on our adventures) and cost: (gas mileage, travel time considering it's slower on the roadways, build out, and repairs if necessary).

pontiac62

I wish I could sir. I'm still in the early stages of convincing my wife we need an LMTV to convert into an overland expedition vehicle... She's not so certain :)

My primary concerns are reliability: (as I will be taking my wife and kids with me on our adventures) and cost: (gas mileage, travel time considering it's slower on the roadways, build out, and repairs if necessary).
Best thing to do would be hook up with spankybear or diverdarrel. Of course bring your wife along. You might also hook up with Duckworthe he has his setup as an overlander camper. You would need contact them ahead.

There are others on here doing similar ones. Ones I’ve mentioned are near you or in couple days drive. Just do a lot of searching thru the posts here. Definitely search the posts for a lot of brake downs that have occurred.

Keep in mind these are still used vehicles reliability Varys just like any other vehicle. Do the maintenance as you should. Driven hard put away wet. Never really know how long they’ve sat before being put up for auction unless you find paperwork in the vehicle after it gets to your house.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

NV555

New member here.

Looking into an LMTV build and I have found a few in my area on GP, both without Gauge Clusters.

How risky is would it be to bid on one without a Gauge Cluster? How easy would it be to find a replacement? And why do you guys think a gauge cluster would be removed?

Thank you,
Easy to find a replacement I have several for both the A0 and A1

I was happy using Joey with United States of Freight not happy with GP and "we will have to reschedule."

I wouldn't be afraid of a fixer upper as long as you can do most of it yourself.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy one from Hawaii as shipping to Washington State isn't too bad considering they go for a low price in Hawaii, however the 25th seems to use and abuse their trucks.

Air Force trucks still have that new truck smell :)

MrGoodwreck

Yes I know about Sultan's brush truck BR52...I remember seeing it when they got it last year. They wanted to update their M35 to something "easier" to drive. Talked to one of the Chiefs or maybe he was a Captain? Anyway he gave a dime tour of the truck. Guess he was the guy to paint it red...

Are you in the Skykomish Valley?
I heard through the grapevine, that there is another one about to hit the hardball in Skykomish..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks