• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV oil pan gasket change

jjb

The TM says I need to drain the cooling system and disconnect the transmission cooling lines to replace the oil pan gasket.

Mine had a pretty good leak I need to address. I was hoping it wasn't as involved.

Has anyone done one? If so can I get the oil pan out with draining the coolant?

Overdrive

I need to do this at some point as well. Looks like removing the trans cooler lines is a must but I don't see why you would need to drain coolant unless the trans cooler has to be removed for the repair or if there is a water pump hose clearance issue.

Draining the coolant is really no big deal. Just get 2 5 gallon buckets and open the drain petcock on the radiator. Just switched over to CAT ELC coolant and had to do 4 drain and fills to flush all the green stuff out. Also replaced the thermostat for good measure which is a 179.6 (82c) degree FYI. Drains just shy of 9 gallons of coolant.

Draining the trans and tcase are also not terrible. I have a LONG write up in this forum on changing to ATF in the trans. I would think this is going to be messy with pulling the cooler lines after looking at the cooler location and the lines going back to the trans. even if you drain the trans/tcase there is probably quite a bit of trans oil still in the cooler.
OD

Last edited:

jjb

No one has done an oil pan gasket? I figured there would be at least 1?

Overdrive,
How bad is your leaking?

Mine doesn't leak when run the truck around my property. I had it running in my driverway for an hour or more while I did a few odds and ends and it never leaked a drop. Why I take it down the road for a good drive it looks like a major leak. It blows oil all over the underside of the truck and when I park it drips for quite awhle.

Last edited:

Overdrive

jib,
mine is a minor leak at several places around the pan gasket. I think after my 220 mile trip I had one or two drops on the ground so its really just weeping. I degreased my engine when I got my truck so I can see any new leaks.

I agree with you, someone around here must have done this already :)

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks