LMTV registration in California. BUYERS BEWARE

tacosauce

I'm running into roadblocks. DMV processed it with a referral to CHP for vin verification. Several offices are almost 2 months out for appointments. I was only able to talk with one officer. He was adamant that even if it is an RV, it cannot be considered anything other than a military vehicle for use off road.

dxhend2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running into roadblocks. DMV processed it with a referral to CHP for vin verification. Several offices are almost 2 months out for appointments. I was only able to talk with one officer. He was adamant that even if it is an RV, it cannot be considered anything other than a military vehicle for use off road.
I've heard that it's really hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Sounds like another "opinion" without any basis in actual regulations. Maybe the best course of action would be to try other CHP stations until you find a "reasonable" opinion, rather than trying to argue the point with facts. All you need from them is to issue a VIN and move along.

I'll be going through this process next year for the first time myself; anticipating that to be one of the more difficult stages of the whole project. Wish I could give you a more specific recommendation, but from what I've seen here in the forums, it appears to be totally dependent on who you talk to. Hang in there!

LibertyCinamon

I've heard that it's really hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Sounds like another "opinion" without any basis in actual regulations. Maybe the best course of action would be to try other CHP stations until you find a "reasonable" opinion, rather than trying to argue the point with facts. All you need from them is to issue a VIN and move along.

I'll be going through this process next year for the first time myself; anticipating that to be one of the more difficult stages of the whole project. Wish I could give you a more specific recommendation, but from what I've seen here in the forums, it appears to be totally dependent on who you talk to. Hang in there!
Let us all know how the process goes and if you were successful. I am very interested in doing the same thing.

Brian011952

I copied this from the CA DMV's web site today. It seems the process is pretty straight forward. I haven't done this yet as I am picking my LMTV up this next week, but this is the route I plan to follow while making my attempt to register my new purchase.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I copied this from the CA DMV's web site today. It seems the process is pretty straight forward. I haven't done this yet as I am picking my LMTV up this next week, but this is the route I plan to follow while making my attempt to register my new purchase.

Be prepared to go to the CHP if the truck has not been registered in California before.

Blair

frank8003

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

dxhend2

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is new (or maybe I just hadn't found it before). Seems straightforward and clear - should make it more reasonable (and consistent) from what I've heard of previous experiences.

Thanks for finding and sharing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks