• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV regstatrion question for CA

mmaaddmmaaxx

LMTV registration question for CA - removed insurance question

Please don't yell at me... or laugh ;-/

I bought without checking a lot on iron planet a 1998,LMTV M1079

I watched a bunch of auctions before and they always sold for more then I wanted to pay for... this time I put a bit down and ...you guess right I "won". Now of course I researching and hope I didn't f..k up...

Couple questions...

When I did my research before I found out that I "need" to register this as RV and for this getting done I need to permanent modified to meet the requirements... Lucky me the one I bought already came rebuild as "RV" got shower, toilet and permanent bed frame!

As this is not a RV yet, seems I cant get insurance. My plan was to pickup in Austin and drive this beast back...

Meaning, I have to have this transported? The bid came in $3k! autsch...

1.) did I mess up buying a 1998? I read at some point only pre 1998 are except from SMOG in CA even after reclass to RV
2.) I have a quote for $3k from Texas to Bay Area..seems a good price.. any thoughts?
3.) Thoughts on driving back rather then transport?
4.) any pointers for the STEPS to get this legal on the road in CA as RV?
Anybody?
thanks,

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances of driving from TX to CA with an auction LMTV without any problems are slim and none and slim has left the building. I might chance it in a 923 but not a 1078. I love my truck and now that I've had it for a while I'd drive it anywhere but know that I'd probably be sitting somewhere working on it and it definitly wouldn't have made it without a lot of pre-trip work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks