• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV rocker switches

spankybear

Hey friend, where on earth is the yellow part spredsheet????

gslader

This is really a TM question but I am trying to trouble shoot some faulty light connections on several new rocker switches I've installed and I've found the right TMs to trouble shoot the issue but it then refers to paragraphs (for example para 2-40) that I can't seem to track down in any of the TMs. I've included a screenshot below of page I'm referencing with the language highlighted. Any help on how to navigate the TMs would be greatly appreciated.

TM Reference.png

Guruman

Not so new member
This is really a TM question but I am trying to trouble shoot some faulty light connections on several new rocker switches I've installed <snip>
If it's the illumination of the switches, I believe they all get power (and ground) from the same source. Unless the wiring right behind the dash panel is chewed up, I'd suspect a bulb or socket problem first. Or if the new ones are LED, they might have reversed polarity.

Sorry, I'm no help with the TMs.

coachgeo

This is really a TM question but I am trying to trouble shoot some faulty light connections on several new rocker switches I've installed and I've found the right TMs to trouble shoot the issue but it then refers to paragraphs (for example para 2-40) that I can't seem to track down in any of the TMs. I've included a screenshot below of page I'm referencing with the language highlighted. Any help on how to navigate the TMs would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 865305
could "para" = paragraph? .. as in ;same section as the diagram is located..... (paragraph #x / line #y) maybe?

Last edited:

B-Dog

So, yesterday, I looked forever trying to find para 2-40. I finally realized I was in the 6x6 manuals which are all I have on my work comp and I'm sure you're looking at the 4x4. So, let's give this another shot since I have the 4x4 manuals now. Yes, the para is paragraph, or that's my interpretation but in the manuals, they're actually titled 'page', 'section' or 'chapter'. There's a "How to use this manual' section at the front of each manual. I'm sure there are better ways to find stuff than I understand but I've never read that section; I'm not one for instructions.

Look at page 1 of each manual, it will have the sections by numbers, look at Volume 3 for a better example. Unfortunately, there are some hidden sections, by hidden, I mean, not listed on Page 1. And in your example, para 2-40 is one of those that's harder to find. The paragraphs/sections you're looking for are in the maintenance sections, not the troubleshooting. Volume 1 is all troubleshooting. If you go to Volume 2, on page 1, it looks like all of Volume 2 is troubleshooting save for the last section, engine maintenance. If you click the link for Engine maintenance, section 3-1 then scroll up, you'll find your para 2-40 on page 1142. I think they're referring to one or more of the paragraphs in that section which don't appear to be very helpful; "fix the connector".
Sections 13, 14, & 15 are also kind of hidden (not shown on page 1), they're at the end of Volume 3.

Para 7-10 and 7-11 are a lot easier to find. Both are in Volume 3. On page 1: look at electrical system maintenance, section 7-1. Perhaps others are luckier than me but whenever I click a link in the TMs, any of them, it always brings me 1 page too far. If it's the same for you then click the link to section 7-1 and scroll up. There will be a table of contents for all of section 7 (page 235) including both 7-10 & 7-11

I hope that helps. I've written a lot of O&M manuals with links and references and nothing near the complexity of these TMs. Color me impressed! I feel the utmost sorrow (and thankful) for the person/people who had to write compile these things.

gslader

@B-Dog Wow! That is some impressive detective work. I think you are absolutely right. I just pulled up Volume 2 and found Para 2-40 there on page 1142. I agree the section doesn't offer the help I was hoping to find but parts h. - q. of that para definitely deal with wiring. I also found that Para 2-40 is referenced very often throughout the TMs so it makes sense that it would be more generic, high level guidance.

Looks like I'll need to employ my Tone & Trace and voltmeter to track down the problem with my rocker switch lights - I get nervous anytime on work on the electronics on these trucks that for every problem I fix I'll introduce some other new gremlin . . . fingers crossed.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@B-Dog Wow! That is some impressive detective work. I think you are absolutely right. I just pulled up Volume 2 and found Para 2-40 there on page 1142. I agree the section doesn't offer the help I was hoping to find but parts h. - q. of that para definitely deal with wiring. I also found that Para 2-40 is referenced very often throughout the TMs so it makes sense that it would be more generic, high level guidance.

Looks like I'll need to employ my Tone & Trace and voltmeter to track down the problem with my rocker switch lights - I get nervous anytime on work on the electronics on these trucks that for every problem I fix I'll introduce some other new gremlin . . . fingers crossed.
So this is the -20 manual (unit level maintenance) you need possibly the next level up (-34 I believe, divisional maintenance) for more in-depth info

gslader

So this is the -20 manual (unit level maintenance) you need possibly the next level up (-34 I believe, divisional maintenance) for more in-depth info
@wheelspinner Thanks for the guidance on this. I checked the -34 manuals and they have detail around rebuilding electrical components (starter, alt, etc.) but nothing in detail on the wiring. I think the military's solution in the event of faulty wiring in a harness was just to replace the entire harness (which is more difficult proposition in civilian hands). I think I am back to Tone and Trace and voltmeter detective work. Will let everyone know how it goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks