• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV starter question

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes it will I just picked up a cat starter and it works great.
With the gear reduction starter you had no problem getting it past the frame into position to bolt it up? How many hook up points are on the starter you bought and do you have a link for where you bought yours?

thanks, rick

snowtrac nome

My cat starter was not gear reduction but built much more robust than the prestolite starter I kept bending the starter drive fork on. with 2 8d batterys it has no problem cranking over the 3116 at minus 20

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cat starter was not gear reduction but built much more robust than the prestolite starter I kept bending the starter drive fork on. with 2 8d batterys it has no problem cranking over the 3116 at minus 20
Do you have a part # where you bought it or a link?
thanks, rick

snowtrac nome

The cat part number is 207-1516 you can buy directly from your cat dealer and its a standard 3116 starter that would be used on a 3116 in a loader excavator or dozer.

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy started this post because of my starter issues. My 1078 would not restart when the engine had been run for a while and was warm.... but when it cooled down it would start again. I checked relays, replaced the frame mounted solenoid, grounded out the thermal protection switch..... nothing fixed my issue. Everything pointed to replacing the starter. I talked to Sandcrobra about all the bad starters he has seen, Talked to Will.....they all said replace the starter. I wanted the easy fix, there isn't one.
Snowtrac posted the Cat starter # 207-1516, I didn't want another Leece Neville starter. Went to my local Cat dealer....$590 for a new one or $287 for a Cat reman starter with a core.....and they would take my Leece Neville as a core. It's not the same size as the Cat starter but they will take it. Andy and I replaced it Saturday....that's a heavy starter about 60lbs, 8 wires to disconnect and a thermal switch to jumper thru, the Cat starter doesn't have the thermal protection switch. If it wasn't for the weight it could be a one man job...we just tied it off and lowered it down. The Cat wired up the same as the Leece minus the thermal switch.

Thanks Andy for all the help.

IT RUNS and RESTARTS when warm.

Rick

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
8200070 looks like a good delco number for drivers side mount with a 082 solenoid

8200435 is a good starter number as well.

I think the overland guys should find a decent air starter for the 3116 and go with that. I know they are available for the 3126 part # 150TMPF81R15 for turbine. For a vane SS175GB01R29

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Now *that* is an interesting idea.
On occasion you can find em cheap. Only issue I see is the LMTV tire pressure isn't up around 120psi to refill a tank if you really needed to. However a dedicated air tank to shut off that could hold pressure indefinitely would be best when you get where you are going.

They do make a spring loaded starter as well that cranks up with a small handle and it will spin a motor.
Bummer, did a quick search and not seeing one for the C7.

3126 and c7 should use the same 38mt style. They just don't list them individually. Like a C12 starter is the same for a C15 etc. It's based on SAE1, 2 or 3 mounting

Reworked LMTV

Milwaukee M18 Impact and a special adapter?

HF Earthquake impact and a special adapter ?

lol kidding, but the thought did cross my mind : )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks