• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Trailer Wiring Plug

Hwhomes

Looking for info on the trailer plugs on the rear of the LMTV's. I am guessing the left is for the 24 volt system and the 7 pin on the right is for the 12 volt system. Can someone tell if this plug/wire harness provides for electric brakes and is there a way to add in a brake controller to the LMTV's?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
7 pin is 12v. Easiest way to be sure of the pinout is to use a multimeter and cycle thru functions. I dont see why you couldnt wire in a brake controller to the 12v.

coachgeo

Do generally all 1078's have the 12v trailer plug along with the 24v NATO trailer plug at the rear, or is that a hit or miss thing and some do and some don't?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
In the back for trailer and in the front so another lmtv can tow and control its lights with an intervehicular cable. Although I have found the front connection is often unplugged behind the bumper.

coachgeo

In the back for trailer and in the front so another lmtv can tow and control its lights with an intervehicular cable. Although I have found the front connection is often unplugged behind the bumper.
Thanks have read about them located front and back but Just for clarity...... you are saying that they all have them? (front and back). I'm dense :cookoo:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also I believe the front is the 7 pin 12v only, the front is for towing the fmtv only.

Aernan

I have a m1078. Someone is giving me a m101 trailer. They removed the military connector on the trailer side and fitted a 4 pin civilian.
What connector do I buy to replace the missing one one the trailer?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LMTV 12 volt trailer connector (on the right rear) is the "7 pin round" configuration with pins on the truck, pointing out. I mention this because two of my trailers are 7 pin blade and I also needed to adapt.

Etrailer sells an adapter, the F77R that worked for my needs, a 7 pin round to 7 pin blade, not what you need, but others might.

You need a 4 pin flat adapter, right? Look at their adapter here:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/118709.html

I can't guarantee that 4 pin adapter will work for your trailer, but there's a good chance it will if your trailer is "normal" 4 pin.

But that won't get your brakes working. Most (all?) trailer controllers have to be installed where the driver can adjust them, in the cab. Your M-101 has electric brakes? A '101 behind an LMTV might not need brakes :)

If brakes are needed, check this out:

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

The controller is radio operated and there's a remote module installed on the trailer. The 12v pin 7 on the LMTV could be used to power the remote on the trailer.

Another possible option is to re-purpose one of the blackout light wires from the LMTV's PDP (power distribution panel) to the rear 24v trailer connector (12 pin). Use that wire to route the proportional brake voltage from a normal trailer brake controller, in the cab, back to the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks