• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV transmission shifting

brainsboy

Bought a 2001 LMTV with a 3126 and allison MD3070 transmission. I have two questions. My front seal is leaking in the transmission assuming the input shaft for the torque converter. The only issue is that it puddles on the ground as a white/pink foam. Not sure its water or just foaming up from air. Dip stick fluid looks fine, not sure if I have a bad cooler or not. My other question is How do the FMTV's shift. Mine shifts great and real firm from 2nd to 5th, but 6 and 7 shift good, no flare but I cant feel the shift like the other gears. Just curious if this is normal. Tried to do a test with manual shifting it but it wouldnt let me shift past 5th manually.

brainsboy

well he said 6-7 felt fine and it wouldn't go above 5th if he was in mode.

to the OP, how exactly are you sifting "manually"?
At a stop just press MODE then arrow down into 2nd gear. Hit the gas and go and up arrow to shift. I can shift up to 5. Cant up arrow past 5th gear, maybe this is normal, I dont know. If I stop and just press D it will automatically shift through all gears , I just didnt think 6 and 7 hit as hard as 2 to 5 does.

Not sure what stuck in 4wd means, thought the truck was all wheel drive all the time.

Ronmar

well 6 and 7 wont hit as hard as they are smaller ratios.

AWD is not the same as 4WD there is a center diff in the transfer case that allows different wheel speeds front to rear. Mode locks that center differential to put you in 4WD and if you are on pavement where wheels cannot slip/spin, you will destroy the transfer case running in mode. Mode also limits you to 5 forward speeds.

you can do the same manual limiting of the upper gear in D/AWD(safe for pavement) by simply down-arrowing from 7 down to 2 and up arrowing as you want to sift up. it however will only shift up when you push the up arrow, if the normal shift parameters are met that would allow it to shift automatically to the next higher gear.

Do you have any weight in the truck? The 2-3 shift hits so hard IMO because it is also locking up the transfer case in 3rd and it stays locked 100% of the time in all gears above 3rd. Because of the 2:1 hubs, the engine and trans have a tremendous mechanical advantage and the engine RPM jumps right up there and satisfies all the parameters to lockup the torque converter as soon as it shifts.

put a ton or two in the bed or install eco-hubs and it will shift smoother :)

The transmission is continuously learning/optimizing shift points so drive it more...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks