• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Transmission Vent Raising

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanting to raise the transmission vent 1-2 feet. Anyone know what the tread is on the vent and has anyone done this? How high did you go, what size hose did you use, any negative side effects?

Ronmar

No, I havn't taken mine off yet. One thing I do recall from the last time the thought crossed my pea brain is that the wobble cap on top of the vent is not very tall, so it may take a special wrench to reach in under the edge of the cap to unscrew it from the casing…

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I dug into it. Accessing the vent is very difficult as it’s located directly under the battery surge protector/ polarity protector, removing that might make it easier. A relatively slim 14mm wrench will fit under the cap to loosen it up, unscrewing it the rest of the way is tedious. It has a 14mm hex head with 10mmx1.5 threads.IMG_3500.jpegIMG_3501.jpeg

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the same vent cap this is what I decided to do. Because there is only 2” between the transmission housing and the battery surge protection box I decided to put the 90 degree fitting on it to prevent kinking the hose causing a restriction. Doing that made it much more difficult. If there was more room I would have just takin a male 1/8NPT with 5/16” barb and ran a m10x1.5 die over the 1/8NPT threads and siliconed it into the top of the transmission. I don’t think you have to put the oring grove and the oring on the bolt. I’m sure you could get away with siliconing it in with out the oring. But I have the means to do it, so why not. IMG_3502.jpegIMG_3503.jpegIMG_3504.jpegIMG_3505.jpeg

Ronmar

Cool, you got it with a regular wrench it looked pretty tight. Mine is all exposed now. Looks like you have a workable plan!