• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV wont start

Crazyls2

Good afternoon folks, first please let me apologize in advance if this is here somewhere already. I did a couple of searches with no luck.

I thought my truck had low batteries because it seems to drain them after sitting for more than a month. I took out my batteries and verified they are good then topped them off before putting them back in the truck. Once back in the truck I press the red start button and i hear relays clicking but the starter doesn't turn.

I checked the relays the cab, they seem to be working as intended.
Put a meter on the starter solenoid and I see 24vdc when I press the starter button.

I have had the plug on the transmission controller come loose before so I pulled the dash apart to make sure they were secure and they are.

Any of you guys have any suggestions as to what I might try next? I have tried going through the TM but couldn't find the troubleshooting tree for starting.

Would greatly appreciate any help you can provide

Sean

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is my third day of work trying to get my truck back to life...... after countless hours I took my frustration out on the rebuilt starter and it started
These trucks in their native form with 4 batteries and the 100 amp alternator just aren't happy sitting around. They have a vampire drain and if they sit for more than two weeks - you will need to charge them.

I'm assuming that "taking out frustration" means that you gave the starter a "Love Tap" or two?

The ground runs through the alternator to the frame. Removing that connection, cleaning it really well and applying some anti-oxidizing paste could help. Cleaning the electrical box under the spare tire is another place that needs the same care. DISCONNECTING THE BATTERIES first will be safer than smoking your truck.

Ronmar

Multi-Clicking relays/solenoids is classic bad connection. A weak connection will pass full voltage untill you try and pull current thru it. Most likley spots as mentioned are the polarity box and shunt behind cab between airfilter and spare, as those are out in the weather...

The main vehicle ground is a strap between starter case to drivers frame. It needs to be clean and solid or things go wonky. You were working on tge starter right?

On an A0 ground goes from battery, thru the shunt to the starter motor housing. Starter to frame via strap. Passenger frame up to cab and cab to X3 ground point in power panel. The alt ground runs to passenger frame and back thru the starter ground pathway to the batteries...

Crazyls2

These trucks in their native form with 4 batteries and the 100 amp alternator just aren't happy sitting around. They have a vampire drain and if they sit for more than two weeks - you will need to charge them.

I'm assuming that "taking out frustration" means that you gave the starter a "Love Tap" or two?

The ground runs through the alternator to the frame. Removing that connection, cleaning it really well and applying some anti-oxidizing paste could help. Cleaning the electrical box under the spare tire is another place that needs the same care. DISCONNECTING THE BATTERIES first will be safer than smoking your truck.
I have cleaned the ground strap and connection but not the other areas mentioned. I will look into it but I do think in the short term, I am just going to disconnect the batteries if I think k it will sit for a while.

Yup, the love tap is what I meant. After a few motivational taps she fired off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks