• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV's: Check your fans

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been stated before on here by many to check and modify your fans if needed on your older LMTV's. I had a friend a couple of weeks ago have his fan go out enroute to a parade 80 miles from his house. The tow bill was 1400 dollars for what could have been a $20 repair beforehand. This is the 3rd fan that I have repaired. Check your fan and if it has allen head bolts holding it on, it needs to be replaced with a newer clutch and fan OR , cheaply modified to prevent failure.
The original setup has a rubber doghnut that allows the fan to spin if needed. This will deteriorate and fail eventually and it will ruin your fan. Best practice is to remove it and install eight 3/16 bolts and nuts in existing holes to eliminate any chance of failure. In my friends case I happen to have a modified fan assembly to replace his bad one.

IMG_2096.jpg

His fan after the rubber failed.

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2095.JPG

Modified with the rubber removed and bolts in the existing factory holes.

IMG_2094(1).JPG

I use leftover 3/16 aircraft grade bolts and locknuts from my Aircraft Maintenance days.

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread drift alert (apologies): That is a gorgeous backdrop!!! Takes me back to an earlier stage of my automotive addictions:

What do you do with it? Guessing by your forum handle, is it a plane motor?
My friend who's fan just crapped out keeps his truck at a shop who specializes in Rotary Racing engines. He thought it would make an unusual backdrop!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend who's fan just crapped out keeps his truck at a shop who specializes in Rotary Racing engines. He thought it would make an unusual backdrop!
Your friend was right!

They are quirky but super cool. The car in the pic was my 3rd evolution- a 1979 chassis running a bridge-ported 13B with a 2 barrel Dellorto and sewer pipe-sized exhaust. That car was SUPER fun, with the pic being taken at an event in BC on Vancouver Island. Great sport, fun car, cool motor, fantastic people!

Now back to the thread topic....

Ronmar

I thought that looked like a rotary:) Had a friend in highschool who was into mazda rotarys, he had RX2’s and 3’s and a pickup. We would open up the restrictor ports in shop class and re-assemble them. They were awesome in all categories, up to and including when they ate themselves:)

ramdough

That has 4 rotors though…. Right? Was that a special stacked engine or what did it come out of?

I think the Mazda stock engines only had two and the racing ones had 3…. Always thought stacking a 4 would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That has 4 rotors though…. Right? Was that a special stacked engine or what did it come out of?

I think the Mazda stock engines only had two and the racing ones had 3…. Always thought stacking a 4 would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, it's 4 rotors. Rarer than hen's teeth! He has several and they are for Road Race Series cars.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those trumpets are a variable length induction system, which was pretty radical in the late 80's early 90's. The green trumpet would slide in and out of the black tube based on engine RPM and other parameters:

The sonic experience was enormous at full chat:

Third From Texas

Those trumpets are a variable length induction system, which was pretty radical in the late 80's early 90's. The green trumpet would slide in and out of the black tube based on engine RPM and other parameters:

The sonic experience was enormous at full chat:

Needs LS swap.

So saithe the Internet....

;P

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks