• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV's in NJ?

Explorer1456

Bug has bitten, rolling around plans in my head for a future expedition camper. Anyone have and registered one of these witm NJMVC. Would love to come and look it over. Looking at LMTV's and FMTV's.
I
Do you have to have the Class B license for the air brakes or is there a "loophole" for RV's or non commercial vehicles under 30k lbs?

blozup

Actually, looking through that link more carefully it looks like there's either the wrong wording, or a loophole that may apply to the LMTV.

Class C doesn't apply if you're not hauling people or hazardous materials.
Class A would apply if your trailer is 10,000 lbs or more GVWR.

Class B, by using GVWR it changes the whole thing to not apply to a <26,001 lbs. LMTV towing a trailer that is less than 10,000 lbs. Perhaps they meant GCWR. You would need to call to confirm, or better: look up the statutes.

They also reference a Class D but do not define it here. I believe they mean a normal passenger car license (which is class D, IIRC).

Class A includes
  • Tractor trailers
  • Any truck and trailer combination with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds – provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds
  • Any vehicle in B, C or D categories, if you have qualified for the proper extra endorsements

Class B includes

• Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds
  • A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds towing a trailer with a GVWR of less than 10,000 pounds
  • A bus with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including driver)
  • Vehicles in Class C and D categories – provided you have qualified for the proper extra endorsements

Class C includes
  • Any vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds used to transport hazardous material (with mandatory placard)
  • Any bus designed to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver) and with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds
  • School vehicles designed for 15 passengers or less (including the driver)
  • Any bus or vehicle used for hire and designed to transport eight to 15 passengers (including the driver)

Last edited:

blozup

Looked at the statutes, couldn't find anything. Probably federal regulation defining these classes. From other searching it looks like Class C is a CDL catch-all though and would apply to vehicle combinations that don't fit in A or B.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks