• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV's show me your WINCH

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Another members winch thread

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another members winch thread

There was a YouTube video too, that I saved this picture from, but don't remember who's it was.
Screenshot_20180902-080356_YouTube.jpg

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think I've seen anyone post pictures of a rear mounted one.

Also, if you're only avoiding the factory side-mounted style so that you can have another fuel tank, keep in mind that there is a ton of space for a fuel tank up above the rear driveshaft. Either way you're going to have to fab a bunch of stuff (winch mount, or fuel cell mount).

Third From Texas

There's not a lot of truth to this. You get an SRW setup off a donor truck for a couple grand, and it includes everything you need. There is no "retrofitting"... it's very straightforward bolt-on, plug the wiring harness in, and go. I'm installing mine now.
Correct me if I'm wrong

My point is that it's not really that simple. I mean you are not just slapping on the winch and plugging in the wires. You have to a) find one and assuming the seller is including "everything", b) you have all the hoses, fittings to run and mount, c) PTO, d) hydraulic pump, e) hydraulic reservoir, f) install the fore and aft fairleads, g) mount up the DP winch itself That's what I mean by "retrofit." It's a "project" compared to simply mounting a winch onto a vic.

ymmv

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong

My point is that it's not really that simple. I mean you are not just slapping on the winch and plugging in the wires. You have to a) find one and assuming the seller is including "everything", b) you have all the hoses, fittings to run and mount, c) PTO, d) hydraulic pump, e) hydraulic reservoir, f) install the fore and aft fairleads, g) mount up the DP winch itself That's what I mean by "retrofit." It's a "project" compared to simply mounting a winch onto a vic.

ymmv
No, you are pretty much literally "slapping on the winch and plugging in the wires", or at least that's how mine is going so far. It was complete and working when it was taken off the truck, and the seller included all the parts. Even the non-winch trucks have all the wiring and mounting holes already. The setup is fairly simple too... the winch connects to the PTO with a couple hoses, and the PTO connects to the reservoir tank, so it's a fairly self-contained setup, that doesn't really involve much integration or comingling with anything on the truck. The one thing that is a swap is the front passenger cab mount bracket with this new one off the winch truck, because the winch truck's mount bracket has a roller on it for the cable, but it doesn't look like anything else has to come off to replace that bracket (and the seller said as much, but I still checked for myself).

So there is no "project" in the sense of anything to create, figure out, fabricate, etc. Now, if you're trying to cobble something together from surplus/parts/etc., that would be a different story, sure. With the electric winches you still have to take the front (and rear?) bumper apart and design and fabricate those mounts, which are a couple weekends projects in their own too.

20190627_124114.jpg

Last edited:

Third From Texas

No, you are pretty much literally "slapping on the winch and plugging in the wires", or at least that's how mine is going so far. It was complete and working when it was taken off the truck, and the seller included all the parts. Even the non-winch trucks have all the wiring and mounting holes already. The setup is fairly simple too... the winch connects to the PTO with a couple hoses, and the PTO connects to the reservoir tank, so it's a fairly self-contained setup, that doesn't really involve much integration or comingling with anything on the truck. The one thing I have to do is swap the front passenger cab mount bracket with this new one off the winch truck, because the winch truck's mount bracket has a roller on it for the cable, but it doesn't look like anything else has to come off to replace that bracket (and the seller said as much, but I still checked for myself).

So there is no "project" in the sense of anything to create, figure out, fabricate, etc. Now, if you're trying to cobble something together from surplus/parts/etc., that would be a different story, sure. With the electric winches you still have to take the front (and rear?) bumper apart and design and fabricate those mounts, which are a couple weekends projects in their own too.
Rgr that.

I don't think I've seen anyone post pictures of a rear mounted one.

Also, if you're only avoiding the factory side-mounted style so that you can have another fuel tank, keep in mind that there is a ton of space for a fuel tank up above the rear driveshaft. Either way you're going to have to fab a bunch of stuff (winch mount, or fuel cell mount).
I need that room for a 100 gallon fresh water tank and 100 gallon grey water tank. I will be building an aluminum 18-20 foot camper on top with a slide out or two....

No, you are pretty much literally "slapping on the winch and plugging in the wires", or at least that's how mine is going so far. It was complete and working when it was taken off the truck, and the seller included all the parts. Even the non-winch trucks have all the wiring and mounting holes already. The setup is fairly simple too... the winch connects to the PTO with a couple hoses, and the PTO connects to the reservoir tank, so it's a fairly self-contained setup, that doesn't really involve much integration or comingling with anything on the truck. The one thing that is a swap is the front passenger cab mount bracket with this new one off the winch truck, because the winch truck's mount bracket has a roller on it for the cable, but it doesn't look like anything else has to come off to replace that bracket (and the seller said as much, but I still checked for myself).

View attachment 793911
I think I am, for the most part, now sold on a front & rear 25,000# winches.
If anyone come across any good aftermarket winch setups place them here,
thanks again guys, good discussion.....

coachgeo

Something Im considering is removing the winch out of it's cradle from the MTV winch I purchased, and mounting something like a sherpa inside the cradle and fit it up cradle and new winch in OEM location

on an electric winch though.... not sure you can swing the cable under the winch and pull from opposite direction it faces like you can the FMTV winch

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is the front bumper area winch cable guide? does it bolt on ia the cab mount? is it a whole different cab mount?
It is a different mount, which includes the roller. However, it's only held on with a few bolts, so I don't foresee it being too big a hassle to swap.

One thing people who are on the fence (SRW vs electric) should know is that despite having similar pull ratings, the winches are in two totally different worlds/classes. This hydraulic SRW is a seriously overbuilt workhorse of a tool, and could winch all day. So would you only ever use it for a few minutes to get unstuck, or could you imagine sitting at the top of a hill and dragging logs all day?

Also, I find it very suspicious when a new company like Sherpa pops up claiming they have a winch that pulls 25k and only costs $1200, and major trusted winch providers like Warn only go up to 18k and cost 3x as much. Something there doesn't add up. Think about your own job... if another company showed up and said they could do your job 40% better AND 70% cheaper at the same time, would you even think that was possible?

Something Im considering is removing the winch out of it's cradle from the MTV winch I purchased, and mounting something like a sherpa inside the cradle and fit it up cradle and new winch in OEM location

on an electric winch though.... not sure you can swing the cable under the winch and pull from opposite direction it faces like you can the FMTV winch
Coachgeo - Can you post some pictures sof the cradle?
Thanks again

coachgeo

It is a different mount, which includes the roller. However, it's only held on with a few bolts, so I don't foresee it being too big a hassle to swap.
now if I could just find one. I have the MTV 15000lb winch (not arrived yet) but non of the ancillary parts sadly

One thing people who are on the fence (SRW vs electric)
that always gets me in a hmmmm? but for a different reason . Example..... what if your engine is not running ... with electric you can still pull. Hydraulic.... your done. This comes in play more when FMTV is a camper with lots of battery options for longer pull with engine off.... esp. if you have generator/solar recharge potential tied to those batteries.

should know is that despite having similar pull ratings, the winches are in two totally different worlds/classes. This hydraulic SRW is a seriously overbuilt workhorse of a tool, and could winch all day. So would you only ever use it for a few minutes to get unstuck, or could you imagine sitting at the top of a hill and dragging logs all day?
most likely unstuck but agree like the workhorse option "preparation opens possibilities" imho

Also, I find it very suspicious when a new company like Sherpa pops up claiming they have a winch that pulls 25k and only costs $1200, and major trusted winch providers like Warn only go up to 18k and cost 3x as much. Something there doesn't add up. Think about your own job... if another company showed up and said they could do your job 40% better AND 70% cheaper at the same time, would you even think that was possible?
their have actually been some "real world" winch test and they actually performed well. One thing to take into account when thinking cost is.. "price value added by the historical name of WARN". They earned the name over the years... but you can't deny "name" adds dollars...... significant dollar and cents to a product

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
now if I could just find one. I have the MTV 15000lb winch (not arrived yet) but non of the ancillary parts sadly
You could easily fabricate one. You can see in the picture there, it's just a pair of rollers on some extra parts of the bracket. The whole setup includes several other rollers and guides for the cable, that go along the frame, but they too are not very complicated or hard to make. I have the 15500lb MTV winch as well.

that always gets me in a hmmmm? but for a different reason . Example..... what if your engine is not running ... with electric you can still pull. Hydraulic.... your done. This comes in play more when FMTV is a camper with lots of battery options for longer pull with engine off.... esp. if you have generator/solar recharge potential tied to those batteries.
I've thought about that too, but playing devil's advocate, if your engine isn't able to run you're not going to winch very far either. And the electric winches don't really have the duty cycle to go very far anyway. So the main thing I could think would be to right yourself after a rollover, but that's not really a "get yourself back on the road" type of event.

their have actually been some "real world" winch test and they actually performed well. One thing to take into account when thinking cost is.. "price value added by the historical name of WARN". They earned the name over the years... but you can't deny "name" adds dollars...... significant dollar and cents to a product
Sure, name and brand add cost, but not typically like that (5-10x). Sherpa is cutting corners somewhere, and at that price difference it's likely "everywhere". If not, then they are drastically undercharging and won't stay in business.

My personal rule is that for equipment and tools that are my "last ditch effort" or potentially life-saving equipment, I buy the best that I can afford, and I want to see it in broad use by professionals. I don't want to be stuck, alone, in a storm, at night, and then find out why the military of fire department doesn't use Sherpa winches.

coachgeo

You could easily fabricate one. You can see in the picture there, it's just a pair of rollers on some extra parts of the bracket. The whole setup includes several other rollers and guides for the cable, that go along the frame, but they too are not very complicated or hard to make. I have the 15500lb MTV winch as well.
If your under your truck sometime..... would love pics and any measurements of all the cable guide stuff you can offer.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your under your truck sometime..... would love pics and any measurements of all the cable guide stuff you can offer.
In the meantime, there are pictures of all of it in the -24P and other manuals. None of them are precision parts. They are just a handful of rollers and pulleys mounted here and there to keep the cable from hitting stuff (mounted to bolt holes already on the frame, so it's obvious where "there" is). You could just buy some adequately-rated pulleys for the proper size of cable, and fab the simple mounts.

20190624_152539.jpg

coachgeo

In the meantime, there are pictures of all of it in the -24P and other manuals. None of them are precision parts. They are just a handful of rollers and pulleys mounted here and there to keep the cable from hitting stuff (mounted to bolt holes already on the frame, so it's obvious where "there" is). You could just buy some adequately-rated pulleys for the proper size of cable, and fab the simple mounts.
agree it is in 24p..... just the drawings are not so great thus any. photo's will offer additional valuable information so anything you or others can offer much thanks in advance.

ramdough

Here are a few more..... that is all I have easy access to.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks