• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Load Bank?

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, 60kw gen. That puts a new spin on it. You would be able to have a shrimp boil in your pool if you were able to string enough water heater elements to load up that beast.:p

Guyfang

Staff member
It would take a while!!

You guys need to keep an eye out for the old load banks that mounted on the mep-005 and 006 gen set. Mostly see them in the scrap piles, but if you could find 1-2 of them, they were real nice. As we have talked about before, the old A427 load banks are a prima score.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be a good way to give your new toy a workout/ shakedown without investing a great deal until tested. If you are like me you want to blow cobwebs out sooner rather than later. Would love to see YouTube video of it as well.

fcbrants

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed!

I will drop a note here when I get it uploaded.

Franko

Be a good way to give your new toy a workout/ shakedown without investing a great deal until tested. If you are like me you want to blow cobwebs out sooner rather than later. Would love to see YouTube video of it as well.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted something easily portable... and I had a firewood rack that was doing nothing but growing vines on it. On your setup csheath... did you simply use wire nuts to jump the (2) 120v lines into a single conductor for each element?

steelypip

I think I'd put a roof on it out of paranoia, but the basic idea looks really good. I presume you're planning on series/parallel and switching the elements in and out for different wattages?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its going to have galvanized panels on all 4 sides of the 'tube'. They go on last after all wiring is done and tested. And yes, two elements on two separate circuits, then 2 wired in series on a third circuit.

csheath

On your setup csheath... did you simply use wire nuts to jump the (2) 120v lines into a single conductor for each element?
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN! USE INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I made a jumper wire with the quick disconnects. Line, jumper to other element, line. When properly wired in series you should measure 20 ohms across the two lines to your breaker switch.

series-connected.jpg

Last edited:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a GETT unit that has its own built in 6kw and 4 kw load bank. I just use plug from 803 to Shore power receptacle and load up. Didn't even know it had this ability until already bought it. Love that gen as well. It is a turbo charged version of an 803. Never can go wrong with turbo, plus 20KW of power and a 9ton ECU, whats not to love. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ok7x6kBiQ

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the prongs on these elements both accepting hot lines, with no neutral being used (for the single element circuits)?

csheath

Are the prongs on these elements both accepting hot lines, with no neutral being used (for the single element circuits)?
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN! USE INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

No neutral for 240 volt.

I went ahead and connected the neutral and ground in the breaker panel and bonded the neutral buss in the panel. That way I don't have to keep connecting and disconnecting the ground strap in the terminal compartment when I unplug from house to load test. BUT the 240V elements only have two line connections on properly sized double pole breakers. Ground rod at generator will ground the panel and elements providing they have a mechanical connection.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for confirming. Yeah I intend on bonding N to G with the included screw, and I have a separate 6AWG ground that will be hooked to a rod installed locally to where I test. I am going to be installing a ground from my cluster of elements, to the frame, and from the frame back into the grounding bar (though with all metal to metal contact... this should already be in place. I'm doubling down on safety for pennies). All of the breakers are sized proper for this purpose. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks