• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Load Sensing Valve Delete?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the front A1R cans larger than the backs? When checking my brakes I noticed the front shoes showed significantly more wear.
Edit: yes, 5.5"dia for rear, 6"dia for front
Yes but the front only has a single can. Rear wheels have two cans per wheel. Rear brakes are the "primary" in the system and should have more power than the front.

The front shoe wear would tend to be less even since they have only a single can and they only expand from one side of the shoes not both. That is somewhat offset by drum brakes "self energizing" feature but not under light braking.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes but the front only has a single can. Rear wheels have two cans per wheel. Rear brakes are the "primary" in the system and should have more power than the front.

The front shoe wear would tend to be less even since they have only a single can and they only expand from one side of the shoes not both. That is somewhat offset by drum brakes "self energizing" feature but not under light braking.
Interesting, all that would point to the rear wearing faster, I wonder why the fronts are down more. Truck only has 3,000 miles so I doubt they've replaced any shoes. The wedge mechanisms are in good shape as well.

STI2NR

Interesting, all that would point to the rear wearing faster, I wonder why the fronts are down more. Truck only has 3,000 miles so I doubt they've replaced any shoes. The wedge mechanisms are in good shape as well.
Your load sensing valve might be blocked off inside like mine was hence I was only using my front brakes the entire time.

Ronmar

Providing everything is aligned correctly and delivering to spec. You need some T fittings and pressure gauges/transducers to confirm the pressure end, the rest is mechanical. Shoe free space(.026” center shoe?). wedges have a limited amount of travel and if the mechanical alignment isn’t right you run out of wedge before you get full shoe force… A symptom of mechanical issue in the rear would be the park brake not wanting to hold the vehicle in gear and even light throttle…

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Providing everything is aligned correctly and delivering to spec. You need some T fittings and pressure gauges/transducers to confirm the pressure end, the rest is mechanical. Shoe free space(.026” center shoe?). wedges have a limited amount of travel and if the mechanical alignment isn’t right you run out of wedge before you get full shoe force… A symptom of mechanical issue in the rear would be the park brake not wanting to hold the vehicle in gear and even light throttle…
She won't budge with parking brake and full throttle in 1st... so that's good :)

Last edited:

Ronmar

She won't budge with parking break and full throttle in 1st. so that's good :)
Thats good, but the ABS modulation valves are inline and could be effecting final output even if ABS is not activated. The only way to confirm this is with T fittings at the cans and pressure transducers looking at the final pressure actually reaching the cans.

coachgeo

not having memorized your setup...... wear on front may be because you have lot more weight on front.. (engine). Definitely case if you have nothing on the back but chassis and bed. Thats not a lot over the rear axle realistically.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks