• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loaded out an M1070 today.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Today I headed over to Sodom South (Atlanta) to load out Andy1234's new prize a M1070 HETT. We got in after the morning rush and before a 20 mile backup on the eastbound side of I-20. Mr. Murphy was on his toes and we had to jump start the beast using slave cables and an additional 24 volt jump using jumper cables. Note to all HETT owners or wanna be owners: The HETT has an air actuated throttle like the HEMMT and the MK-48. Once it starts you have to build up air before you can rev it up to build up air (designed by and idiot and built by morons at Oshkosh). Once we got the truck cranked I drove it across the compound to where we were to load it on the RGN trailer. Murphy was still having his yucks with us and led the driver on a tour of Atlanta before he found the place. He then had an undue amount of trouble getting the extra axle set down and locked into place. Once the trailer was configured and the gooseneck detached I backed the truck up on the trailer which was no small feat since the rear axle was determined to steer the wrong way while I was trying to get straight on the trailer. Once I got used to steering the beast again (I drove them in the Army) I got it centered to the driver's satisfaction. He then attempted to hook the gooseneck back up and determined there was too much weight on the front of the trailer (thanks Murphy). I drove it off, turned around and drove it back up on the trailer with the nose to the back. Success!!!!! I called Andy to let him know his baby was loaded. We ex-filtrated Hotlanta and headed back to FOB Akenback Acres. On an ironic note these vehicles come from the Transportation unit I was assigned to at Fort Stewart, GA in 1995. There is a chance I drove this vehicle at one time since we were training on them and no one had an assigned vehicle.

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselBob

Note to all HETT owners or wanna be owners: The HETT has an air actuated throttle like the HEMMT and the MK-48. Once it starts you have to build up air before you can rev it up to build up air (designed by and idiot and built by morons at Oshkosh).
Nice job on the loadout Richard. Now that has got to be the dumbest idea I have heard of.

Andy1234

A big thanks to wreckerman for the loadout assist! Richard makes it look easy, even while dealing with hapless GL employees and lost truckers.

Having driven and tow-barred home over a million pounds of trucks in the past 4 years, I'm not even going to open that discussion. All I have to say is that if you can afford this, a MK48, a HEMMT, or any other highly specialized vehicle then you should have adequate plans to get it home for a full inspection. The transport costs as well as wreckerman's services pale in comparison to what a tow bill (as well as a stack of tickets from a ticked off state trooper) would cost.

Trucks like these are a little different then a Deuce or an M931....

Anyway, it should be in StL on Monday.

Andy

Hoefler

Great score. I am looking forward to a report on this beast. Wondering if Wreckermans little buddies made the trip on the front bumper-and what will happen when they meet up with Andy's cat on the hood. Pictures of that too.
Pete

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wreckerman what is that on the floor above your head in the second pick?
It is a removable convoy light. All the HETT's and PLS trucks came with them. A convoy of Hett's going down the road looked like a disco show.
I may pick one up just to drive it back to Canada.
The tractor by itself weighs north of 40,000 pounds. With that double breasted, two stroke Driptriot in it fuel milage is 2-3 miles per gallon on a good day....that's bobtailing. Top speed is 45 MPH with that Yamaha screaming under you. My guess is the fuel bill would be close to the purchase price.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They got some big rats in the Atlanta truck yard. WM got pictures of 2 of them scurrying around the truck. WM I hope you scared them off :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks