• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

loading dock height?

Michael

Can you back a standard M35A2 up to a loading dock and drive a fork lift into it? Or is there even such a thing as a standard height for loading docks? I am assuming there is since trucks back up to them and are unloaded with forklifts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's close enough that you can do it if you have a dock ramp. See pics.

I can measure our dock here at work if you'd like, docks are, more or less, standardized in height.

Attachments

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
if you try this remove your tailgate. i left mine hanging all the ay down and backed into a dock and bent it up real bad. another time i wasunloading a suzuki samurai out of my truck withthe gate chained and it bent the hooks to strait. i'd imagine a forklift would do the same

mangus580

Dock height is pretty much a 48" standard. Trucks seem to vary from like 44-52" in height. Thats why most places have a dock plate....

I have had my deuce backed up to our dock numerous times... :)

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Docks usually always have ramps to bridge the small little "jumps" . They are never perfect. Your tail gate is not adequate to run anything over, accept small hand trucks. My rule: Never touch the dock with ANY part of your truck, any truck. Your asking for something bent. Even if you have to walk back and check yur fit, several times. Don't touch it. Its hard to trust anybody too. Its your truck to bend - not theirs. I don't trust them, till I know them. Most don't know how to back you anyway.

Lee in ALaska

Michael

Thanks for the quick response. This is at an old feed store that has gone out of business. I doubt that it has a fancy adjustable ramp like in the picture, but they probably have a steel plate or something. Is it trucks in general vary or M35s vary. From the pic it looks like it is a little higher.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Docks vary, so do comercial trucks/trailers. I have a relatively new semi trailer (Civilian) that is about 54". About like a Deuce. Smaller civilian trucks are usually lower. You about always need the stll plates to jump the gap, even when there is the adjustable plate.

If your dealing with pallets. Push or pull the load back to the end of your bed w/ a chain, so you don't have to drive in there. Also, the size of the tires of the fork lift, determines the gap that it will bridge.

Lee in Alaska

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to chain your truck to the loading dock, or put blocks on both front and rear of your tires, prior to driving a forklift onto the bed. I have heard of many an accident, some fatal, when guys didn't do this, and the trailer shifted and the forklift either fell off the back end of the truck/trailer, or went through the side. Be careful.

TheBuggyman

maddawg308 said:
Be sure to chain your truck to the loading dock, or put blocks on both front and rear of your tires, prior to driving a forklift onto the bed. I have heard of many an accident, some fatal, when guys didn't do this, and the trailer shifted and the forklift either fell off the back end of the truck/trailer, or went through the side. Be careful.
That is VERY, VERY good advice!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Yeah , worked with USF Reddaway moving trailors around the yard , it is policy to chock trailor tires , but i backed a Duece into a Dock on Ft Carson without a ramp but they are right , I didnt back all the way to the dock. We moved fridges in and out. A heavy Fork Lift might dent the bed in the truck also , but I havent done that yet.

Crash_AF

I'm assuming you're looking to drive the forklift into the back of the deuce to transport it back to your place... just a question, but how do you plan to get the forklift out of the back of the deuce at your destination?

Michael

With my 1952 Clark Planeloader forklift. :)

I don't really need two. It's a long story involving a girl that works for me, divorce, bankruptcy, she needs the money, etc. It turns out the place doesn't even have a loading dock.

ATC

Yes, be very careful loading that onto your Deuce. I work a Coca-Cola loading trucks ("clinto", your pictures remind me of our warehouse...which I just left).

Just 3 weeks ago, someone was loading a truck at work, when a third-party told the switcher operator that the truck was finished. Well, it wasnt and the switcher pulled out while the forklift was still on the trailer. The forklift had a pallet on it, and wedged the pallet on the roof of the trailer. That's the only thing that kept it from falling out the rear, and possibly injuring the operator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks