• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Local Forums?

bajajoaquin

As a brand-spankin-new member, I've got no illusions that my opinions hold a lot of weight, but I found this thread because I wanted to make a suggestion about regional forums. Apart from liking the idea generally, I've got two thoughts on it:

1. There was a valid concern about "polarizing" the forum with local biases. I have been a regular member of the Sport Touring forum http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php? which has a general forum, manufacturer-specific forums, and regional forums. It seems to have worked out very well, with the manufacturer forums being analagous to the vehichle-type forums here.

2. In the different maps of proposed regions, there are two versions of the south-western part of the US. To me, it makes more sense to put California in with AZ, like in the poll, because the Pacific coast is darn long. There's little regional similarity with the PNW which is more than 900 miles away from me! However, I can get to AZ stuff in a few hours.

My local bias, of course.

Keep up the good work. It's a fascinating site!

CGarbee

Don't split it up.
I also use the "most recent" view for 90% of my posts. Only when I am looking for something specific or am starting something new do I actually go to the listing of different forum areas.
I also like to see what folks are doing in different areas, especially since you never know when something some distance away catches my eye and I start thinking of attending or doing something similar closer to me... I also agree that folks tend to get divided too much. For a real regional fix, I look at my local club's website. I also look at a couple of vehicle specific sites (and some that are no longer so specific) such as the www.g741.org, www.dodgepowerwagon.com, and www.g503.com sites for very specific vehicle questions or to access the personalities on them that do not fequent this site.
I find knowing where folks live using the tag in the post id to be extrememly helpful, and agree that having the abilty to have a "friends" listing for PM's would be nice. A map showing everyone's location would be neet, but I'm not crying over it's not beeing here yet...

KISS is a great principle...

mangus580

My only thought (and I may have stated this) was not to split up the entire place.... just to have 1 'heading' for each region.... to give the people of that region a specific place to talk about what pertains to them (ie, the Georgia event this past weekend) Not everyone uses the 'recent' page for all their posts (although I admit I do!!) And it would be a way for it to be narrowed down a little.

Honestly, I dont care either way :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We prefer our "events" to be called "shindigs" or "hoedowns".

Thank you,

Sincerely,

The Georgia Gang

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the forum as it is. I try to keep updated daily on the recent post page. If I need to post a topic I post it in the appropriate place( I try). The idea of splitting up the groups geographically does not sound like a good idea to me (I am as interested in what is happening in California as I am here in the NE). But a new area to post for regional events, is a good idea. I think as it is, this is accomplished in the general conversation area now. I do think a good members location map would be a real asset here.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it the way it is. There are only a few prople out in the West, and I enjoy reading about events, get togethers, problems and just the normal everyday conversations that happen as a whole, all over the place, USA, Europe, South America, etc

It's more personal that way and I think that is what makes this site so cool.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Nice atmosphere and great folks. It's like sittin around the woodburning stove in the shop with all the guys.

How about a topic like "regional get togethers" and in the subject line, you could have something like "cookout @ BFR's house, North Ga, 17-February" and then anyone from that area could click on it and read the link and all those West Coast guys could ignore it......
That's got my vote!