• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

location of coolant vent?

Newblue

Had to remove and replace the radiator for a leak. When refilling I believe there is a vent on the engine some where to avoid air pockets. What is the location of this vent?

Thanks,
Mike

Westech

CPL
There is no vent. If your truck has a heater use the bleeder valve on the heater box to bleed some of the air out. Other wise fill it up it will bleed out when you drive it for the first time, just keep a eye on the temp.

correction there MAY and I say may.. be one on the oil cooler housing. I have seen some that do and mine that did not. That is on the driver side of the engine by the fuel filters.. cant miss it big coolant tube that runs in to it.

bassetdeuce

There is no vent. If your truck has a heater use the bleeder valve on the heater box to bleed some of the air out. Other wise fill it up it will bleed out when you drive it for the first time, just keep a eye on the temp.

correction there MAY and I say may.. be one on the oil cooler housing. I have seen some that do and mine that did not. That is on the driver side of the engine by the fuel filters.. cant miss it big coolant tube that runs in to it.
After you top off the system, do you open this valve on the heater to let it burp, then close it?

Rattlehead

Here's a pic of the oil cooler housing, courtesy of Cranetruck. If this is what you are talking about, it is for oil sampling.

I would open the vent on the heater, then fill until coolant starts coming out, close the vent and top off. Get it to operating temp and let it cool, then verify coolant level.

I bought an Airlift brand coolant filler years ago, and it does a great job at ensuring no air pockets, even in some of the newer cars with coolant systems that are prone to air pockets. You pull a vacuum on the system using an air hose through a venturi. Then you shut off the system, watch the gauge to ensure no bleedoff of vac, then attach a filler hose and stick it in a bucket of premixed antifreeze. Open the valve and let the vac in the system draw it out of the bucket.

Attachments