• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Location of Engine Coolant Drain?

natemccabe

I live in block heater land, and plug in when temps dip below 20 F, which started sometime at the begining of October. I also have battery warmer pads installed to give me full power at -40F. The hole thing is plugged into a timer so that it only starts warming things up a couple of hours before I need to get to work. I've started with and without the block heated and I'd have to say that a warm block is the way to go. Ive also insulated my heater hoses and the 1009 wears a cold front for most of the year. The only thing I regret is swapping my heater core a couple years back cause it was leaking into the cab, the replacement core was half the thickness of the old one, and made of aluminum.

wired1000

When I put the block heater in and flushed the coolant system, I also put in a "winter thermostat" that opens 10 deg hotter. Should help keep me a bit warmer. I got some crappy heated seat pads from amazon for $20/each and my next project before it gets too cold is to wire them up to 12V accessory sockets so I can have heated seats. FANCY! :beer:

Last edited:

Keith_J

A shop vac set up for wet vacuum works wonders in draining blocks, heater cores and other problem coolant areas. Just make sure you have air flow.

This really helps when removing cylinder heads. Let it run for 15 minutes to pull it clean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks