• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Location of Tranny & Xfercase vents?

BugEyeBear

WHERE are the vents located for the TRANNY & also for the XFERCASE?

I'm going to be checking fluid levels tomorrow before a long drive & I want to ensure that my vents can "spin & bounce".
(I figure that they must be located on the TOP of the trans & xfer, but I'm guessing that they are somewhat out of sight when you are laying on your back underneath... a description of the location would be helpful... PICS would be GREAT!)

BTW: I recently checked my axle vents & 2 of the 3 appeared to be somewhat clogged. The front axle vent seemed to "hiss" after I did the "spin & bounce", & my middle axle (fwd tandem) vent seemed to be quite clogged and at first resisted spinning. The rear-most axle (rear tandem) seemed fine. Interestingly the middle axle had axle seal leaks when I got it..... "Gee, I wonder why....." MORAL of this story: Check your vents!!

OH! & I should note that I've since acquired 3 new axle vents to install tomorrow. (I might be able to clean & reuse the existing vents, but I snagged 3 new ones to be 100% sure!)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission vent is on the top, in front of the shifter tower. I have seen some trucks with a pipe plug in the hole, instead of a vent(those trucks have oily shift towers)

I can't recall where the T-case vent is.

kurtkds

The xfer case vent is in the top cover of the the case. Easiest thing to do is pull the sheet metal off from inside the cab to get to both of them

Download the TM 9-2520-246-34. It covers both the transmission and the xfer case.

Last edited:

stumps

Just a quick note, the "twist and bounce" recommendation in PS magazine as a test for a functioning gear case vent is not enough. It only tests to see if mud has bound up the metal cap... but that isn't the only failure mode!

After your truck has sat unused for a year or so, with the spring pushing down on the little rubber disk that seals out the mud and water, the rubber kind of welds itself to its seat. My truck had all new vents, and even so I found that it takes 5 to 10 lbs of push on a piece of drill rod stuck into the axle hole side to break the rubber disk free of its seat! After breaking the rubber disk free, the vents worked properly. I gave the disks a squirt of light oil to hopefully keep then from sticking in the near future.

[To head off the inevitable comments that 5 to 10 lbs sounds reasonable, it isn't. If the hole is 1/8 inch, the disk that covers the hole is 0.05 sq-inch. 5 to 10 lbs per 0.05 sq-inch works out to 100 to 200 psi which is effectively sealed shut!]

-Chuck

BugEyeBear

GOOD POINT!

That's why I'm installing new vents on my axles, & I'm pulling the vents off my tranny & xfer to clean them & confirm that they are working properly.

Once they are clean I will blow thru from the threaded side to confirm that they vent freely. Then suck from the threaded side to confirm that they reseal.

I also plan to eventually replace all vents with tubing routed to a protected high point (maybe the air cleaner).

BugEyeBear

Don't forget to test your new vents for operation! They could be stuck too.

-Chuck
Already Did!
(Glad to know I'm not the only one who tests "new" parts!)

I'm actually probably gonna relocate the axle vents using the "barb-hose-JeepWranglerVent" mod discussed in prior threads.
These Jeep vents are NOT spring loaded, so they would have less tendency to get stuck. But they also are not 100% water-tight, so they'll need to be located higher & protected from moisture contamination.

Heavysteven

Thanks for the advise, was easy to get trans and transfer case vent insdie from cab.

Problem for me military used a plug instead of vent on my transmission so I need a new one. Does any have a napa part #, mcmaster Carr, grainger, or amozon?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Transfer vent (look on the right side of the case):

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks