• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lock a jerry can

InfiniteFoamies

I have tried the search and have looked on some other websites so I figured I would show you guys what I have found and have a place for other suggestions.

I want to add jerry cans but want to lock them not only to prevent theft but also prevent someone from being able to sabotage the fuel/water.

This is my favorite so far because it is so simple though I think I would orient it differently. This is from dell on IH8MUDMFCmounting166.jpg

Here are some others I have found. These three pics are from rusty_tlc on IH8mudDSCN2347.jpg Does anyone know where to get a locking draw hasp like this?DSCN2348.jpgDSCN2346.jpg

The forum link is: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/securing-jerry-cans-from-theft.476492/

I also wanted to know what you guys think of storing potable water in a metal jerry can. I plan to store the water long term and don't like the idea of storing it in a plastic jerry can especially since it will be subject to sun long term.

If this thread is not in the right section I apologize as I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

peashooter

I also wanted to know what you guys think of storing potable water in a metal jerry can. I plan to store the water long term and don't like the idea of storing it in a plastic jerry can especially since it will be subject to sun long term.
The (real) metal jerry cans & Nato cans have a porcelain coating on the inside that I'd think would be okay to keep water stored in. Obviously you would want that sucker clean. If you are storing water long term you probably should put a few drops of bleach in it also to keep anything from growing in there.
The newer "nato style" jerry cans from asia are not porcelain coated inside and would definitely not be suitable for water of any kind.

Oh and check McMaster.com for the hasps or latches you are looking for.... also etrailer.com might have some good stuff

InfiniteFoamies

Thanks peashooter, Any info on where to buy a porcelain coated nato can? Also how would you clean it since there really is no way to know for sure that it has never had chemicals in it.

peashooter

Thanks peashooter, Any info on where to buy a porcelain coated nato can? Also how would you clean it since there really is no way to know for sure that it has never had chemicals in it.
I'm not sure exactly. They aren't cheap... usually between $30-$60 per can for a real one. I've bought a bunch over the last few years from our local Mills Fleet Farm stores (like a Tractor Supply). With the new CARB mandates, there are lots of states that cant sell these type of cans anymore.
I'd personally just buy the Scepter Water cans (Military Water Cans) or MFC water, not sure what the best way to search for them would be. They would be made of a stable plastic that is made to prevent bacteria growth and are black (usually) which will get hot in the sun but also be the best color to prevent long term UV damage. They really are probably your best choice and as a bonus, they are way cheaper.... more like $20-25. Put an add in the Wanted section of the classifieds, there are probably some members that have tons of them for sale cheaper than ebay prices. Also clean out your home's water heater once in a while, that is one of the easiest ways for emergency water storage (assuming that's what you are doing). A normal water heater is about 40gallons.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Long term water storage in metal is not a good idea nor is having it in sunlight, heat and light degrades the chlorine. A way to store your water is in BPA-free plastic containers that have been manufactured specifically for water storage. These containers are often colored blue and will be labeled as safe for drinking water. You may also use any food-grade storage container. Google Reliance Products Aqua-Pak 5 Gallon Rigid Water Container, my local wally world has the Coleman version of them for under $14. You can also boost chlorine up to 4PPM.

InfiniteFoamies

I'm not sure exactly. They aren't cheap... usually between $30-$60 per can for a real one. I've bought a bunch over the last few years from our local Mills Fleet Farm stores (like a Tractor Supply). With the new CARB mandates, there are lots of states that cant sell these type of cans anymore.
I'd personally just buy the Scepter Water cans (Military Water Cans) or MFC water, not sure what the best way to search for them would be. They would be made of a stable plastic that is made to prevent bacteria growth and are black (usually) which will get hot in the sun but also be the best color to prevent long term UV damage. They really are probably your best choice and as a bonus, they are way cheaper.... more like $20-25. Put an add in the Wanted section of the classifieds, there are probably some members that have tons of them for sale cheaper than ebay prices. Also clean out your home's water heater once in a while, that is one of the easiest ways for emergency water storage (assuming that's what you are doing). A normal water heater is about 40gallons.
My problem with a plastic one is can't someone easily inject something into it?

I do not have a water storage tank at home just a boiler. I am not doing this as an emergency for when I am at home, I go away to college so I am away more of the year than I am home and also go camping often. So whether I get stuck in a ditch or am camping I like to be prepared. I plan to have one for diesel, one for gas(2 stroke mix for the model airplanes), and two of water(drinking, cooking, radiator, dishes, etc)
Long term water storage in metal is not a good idea nor is having it in sunlight, heat and light degrades the chlorine. A way to store your water is in BPA-free plastic containers that have been manufactured specifically for water storage. These containers are often colored blue and will be labeled as safe for drinking water. You may also use any food-grade storage container. Google Reliance Products Aqua-Pak 5 Gallon Rigid Water Container, my local wally world has the Coleman version of them for under $14. You can also boost chlorine up to 4PPM.
I want something that will match the other jerry cans and also don't want someone to be able to sabotage it easily. I do not know why people like to do this but I have seen someone stick a screw driver through a radiator for the simple reason there was no grille stopping them.

rustystud

The only way to prevent anyone from messing with your water is to keep it inside your vehicle. Of course if your talking about keeping it in your deuce that's another thing, though I'm pretty sure your not driving your deuce to college. Are you ?

Jeepsinker

It is incredibly hard to penetrate a scepter water can with anything short of a bullet. You can drive over them with a HMMWV and not hurt them. So no, somebody injecting anything into it to sabotage it is highly unlikely.