• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locked up cummins in the M923

smittyjr355

Well I picked up my new toy (M923) yesterday and got a nice little surprise!! I knew the truck "does not start" before buying it but I figured it would be something small. After looking more closely at the motor I came to the conclusion that it is locked solid. No movement of the crank at all with a breaker bar on the end of it!!! I did find some info on a little red card in the cab saying at one point there was coolant in the oil and do not start!! It appears the engine has been gone through not to long ago due to all new bolts and gaskets that I can see. There was no oil on the dipstick so I pulled the drain plug to find about a gallon of anti-freeze! This is my current status with the M923 until I pull the oil pan off to see if there is any carnage!! Once oil pan is off this will determine whether I fix the motor or going to part the ole girl out!! I figured I would throw this out here to see if any body has any input on this mess!! I am hoping someone did not start this engine with out oil and that maybe one of the cylinders is locked up do to the coolant/water problem!

91W350

We had three out of 65 with the same problem, luck of the draw. We have some nice engines if you are wanting to continue on, come get one! It is definitely a bummer to get a truck with a locked engine, especially when it looks fresh. Do not overlook your oil cooler. Glen

indy4x4fab

Banned
Open up the valve covers remove the injectors, fill the Cyclades with atf let sit and the get a really big breaker bar and pull like he!!. My engine was rust locked when I bought it but freed right up after a few laps around the church parking lot being pull started by a deuce.

smittyjr355

I am really hoping that it is just a rusted/locked cylinder!!! It seems like if the motor was locked up due to the lack of oil there should be a rod sticking out!!!

rickf

I think the locked motor and the gallon of coolant in the pan are pretty good clues that you have a little more than rust issues. I think you have an extra hole in there.

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think the locked motor and the gallon of coolant in the pan are pretty good clues that you have a little more than rust issues. I think you have an extra hole in there.

Rick
May just be a bad head gasket install

augiedoggy

Try pressure testing the cooling system, even if its empty (assuming everything is together) I would blow some low pressure air into it (15psi max?) and see if you can find where its leaking. Hope its not too bad :sad:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut the filter open to see if there any sparklies in there. Aluminum is a piston, copper is a bearing. The most common failure on fresh overhauls are rolled liner packing. They egg shape the liner and all is OK 'till you load it, then it hangs a piston. 855 bottom ends are pretty tough. I vote for a hung piston.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I had the same thing happen to one of my 923s.We tore it a part,it dropped a valve.We replaced one head and 1 piston and liner.It runs good now.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you have the pan off you may want to pull a couple of caps off and check the bearings. If they run it much with coolant in the oil it may have spun a bearing.

carbonraptor

I agree with the guys above, i think its a hung piston but worst case scenario you pick up a nhc 250 for really cheap off of govliquidation. I have seen several of them on there go for less than a grand. I hope it all works out
:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks