• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker for rear differential M38 A1

dodjh

Can anyone help me find a locker for the D 44 in the M38 A1...I believe it is a 10 spline axle? I have been browsing the archives and threads

gaining more knowledge but not able to lay my hand on a locker.

Some have talked about going to a 19 spline axle in the D 44 and buying the proper locker for it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mike O

Yes, they hold up great. Have two of the Dana 25 units. One of the front of my 42 MB and another in the front of an FC150. Never an issue. Both are climbing SOB's!

dodjh

Yes, they hold up great. Have two of the Dana 25 units. One of the front of my 42 MB and another in the front of an FC150. Never an issue. Both are climbing SOB's!
Wow, that sounds great. I ordered one for the rear of my A1 and plan to order one for the front Dana 25.

Thank you for your replies and I will try and let you know how mine works out.

Chuck

dodjh

I think you'll be very pleased. Having a locker, in the front especially, makes a huge difference in off road ability.

Yes, off road ability is what I am looking far too. I've always been confused why vehicles with one back and one front tire pulling are called 4 wheel drives.

It seems most stock 4 wheel drives are set up just that way but if it's 4 wheel drive all four tires ought to be digging.

dodjh

I have installed the Lock-Rite in the rear of my M38A1. The first day I drove it there was little noise...only clicks when cornering. Now it is making a Hellish noise which

seems to happen when the pinon gear shaft travels into the pumpkin case. I can jack the rear end up and shift into gear and listen/observe the pumpkin housing for the source of

the noise. The pinion shaft advances in and out of the pumpkin housing. It makes the noise when it does go in. It is easy to notice by watching the dust shield for the pinion.

I first noticed the noise when driving it the second day where it happened while pushing in the clutch petal to shift gears. As long as I keep the clutch pedal down the noise continued

until I came to a stop. In reverse the noise is far less but still until I come to a stop.

The clutch petal does not need to be pushed down for it to make the noise as when It is cranked idiling in gear.

I spent about a week on this "2 hour" easy install.

dodjh

No...according to the installation none of that was needed. All I had to do was keep track of bearing cap order and put them back in the positions they were in.

gerrykan

See if you can find someone trustworthy in your area with experience working on axles.
Setting up differentials is not really something that can be easily taught via the internet.

There are specs to be adhered to, but there is also a little 'touch and feel' to it.

dodjh

See if you can find someone trustworthy in your area with experience working on axles.
Setting up differentials is not really something that can be easily taught via the internet.

There are specs to be adhered to, but there is also a little 'touch and feel' to it.
Thanks gerrykan....it is almost impossible to get feed back on a post. Don't know if people are lazy or just don't give a S**T!

Mike O

Did you remove the pinion from the housing? If the pinion is moving in and out of the housing, either shims were removed and not placed back in their proper location or the bearings are bad. If you only dropped the carrier and replaced the spider gears with the locker and didn't touch the pinion, it sound like you need to take it to a ring and pinion shop.

dodjh

Thanks Mike for your reply...I didn't remove the pinion gear from the housing or its shims. So the bearings must be bad. Also, I didn't drop the carrier.

Late news, I did take it to someone who works on MV and he said every thing I did was right. What he found wrong was the pinion gear nut was not tight...he torqued it and the

noise has gone away. He is replacing a seal and resetting the back lash and pre load. He checked ring gear and pinion gear for damage and hasn't seen any.

Mike O

Cool deal. Glad you caught it before it self destructed. I can't remember if the M38A1 had a cotter pin on the pinion nut or if it's a self locking nut. If it's a self locking nut, it really should be replaced every time it's removed as it is a one time use part. If you have to re-use it, make sure you clean the threads thoroughly and apply Loc-Tite to the threads. Just wait until you get a locker in the front axle. The thing will go straight up a tree!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks