• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker in the rear axle only

davidb56

Im probably going to install one Detroit ( Ouverson ) locker in the rear axle only on my deuce this summer for the winter driving/plowing. Has anyone experienced driving a deuce with one in the rear axle only? Ive gone through many threads here about them and I tried to absorb as much "experienced " opinions as possible. I feel 2 lockers in the rear would possibly fight each other, and I don't want to spend the extra $$$ on a ARB for the front end, and the extra work to get the pumpkin out. I got chains for the 3 axles, but just the outer tires as Im running dual 11x20's in the rear.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One locker will already eliminate the biggest weakness of the open diff 6x6 drive train - no propulsion power when slipping on all three wheels on one side. So, that one locker already makes a difference in a situation where you are sideways in a soft spot or on ice on one side.

I don't know whether lockers can ever "fight each other". In the case of an automatic locker, it is triggered by what happens inside its own differential, not by what another differential does.
You are right in the sense that a Detroit in each rear would make the truck more reluctant to turn while under power, compared to having only one diff locked.

davidb56

Using the Ouverson axles would allow me to add a hub and unlock one axle if I had to drive on a icy highway. ( I think it would work, I'll call them up) Good thing is there are only two highways in 1200 square miles here, and 10K living/driving people to avoid running into.

Watsonpreston

I run spools in both rears and Detroit style locker in the front but my trucks 99.9% off road these days
Before I ran some type of lockers in any of the axles I would get power steering of some type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidb56

Lockers will make you feel like there’s no where you can’t go

I learned a long time ago 4 wheelin...... Often when you have tons of traction.....you can go "down" as to the axles. Im just getting it set up for going deeper in the woods up here. Often Ive gone 3-5 days without seeing anyone at all. So I bring extra stuff and more ammo now.

davidb56

I run spools in both rears and Detroit style locker in the front but my trucks 99.9% off road these days
Before I ran some type of lockers in any of the axles I would get power steering of some type

Do you wear out your tires quickly, or notice the rear wants to steer to the low side of the road camber? that would be bad for me, as often the low side gets pretty far down, as in hundreds of feet.

Watsonpreston

Do you wear out your tires quickly, or notice the rear wants to steer to the low side of the road camber? that would be bad for me, as often the low side gets pretty far down, as in hundreds of feet.
Tire wear is fine I run 395/85r20
When driving down the road I don’t feel anything like that
Now when I’m driving up something with extreme off camber that’s slick I go ahead and lock in the front axle to have better steering

162tcat

Tire wear is fine I run 395/85r20
When driving down the road I don’t feel anything like that
Now when I’m driving up something with extreme off camber that’s slick I go ahead and lock in the front axle to have better steering

Profile says he’s in Dallas. Not much snow there. I wouldn’t want lockers all around in snow country especially if you have hills. 1 rear axle locker and air down would be my choice for the best forward traction and maintaining resistance to sliding in off camber situations.

Watsonpreston

Profile says he’s in Dallas. Not much snow there. I wouldn’t want lockers all around in snow country especially if you have hills. 1 rear axle locker and air down would be my choice for the best forward traction and maintaining resistance to sliding in off camber situations.

Correct not much snow and ice
Matter of fact have never had my Duece in snow or ice ever time it gets bad I’m on the road for work
I do off-road my truck

With lockers and tire chains I would assume with that much forward traction you could control it

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct not much snow and ice
Matter of fact have never had my Duece in snow or ice ever time it gets bad I’m on the road for work
I do off-road my truck

With lockers and tire chains I would assume with that much forward traction you could control it

The thing about lockers and snow/ice is that when you break loose you break all the tires loose and begin sliding downhill, be it forwards backwards or sideways. With open diffs when you lose traction at least one wheel stays planted and you simply stop moving.

davidb56

The thing about lockers and snow/ice is that when you break loose you break all the tires loose and begin sliding downhill, be it forwards backwards or sideways. With open diffs when you lose traction at least one wheel stays planted and you simply stop moving.
thats why I posted that I am looking for someone who has only one locker in the rear. None in the front or middle axle. I dont really want it for extra traction on snow or ice, but really for the 3 wheels in the ditch scenario, which is a high probability up here. This truck spends most of its time on logging roads year round. Im beginning to think that I may have to wait and buy a ARB only, and put it up front. Often when I loose traction, its the front (chained up) that gets me out . I want to thank everyone here for their input.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks