• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockers or no lockers

usmcgunner

Looking at a CUCV that's about 10 hours away. Initiatially advertised as an M1008 with lockers front and rear. Guy swears it has them. Is there anyway to tell on the outside of the diff whether or not this is true? Thinking maybe it's possible the axles were swapped in the motor pool or something. I'm really looking for a M1028, but thought since he was advertising lockers, maybe he had a 28 but was putting 1008 not knowing what he had. I'm trying to negotiate from a distance, so I don't want to waste a trip. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No real way to tell from the outside. Maybe see if there is a member near by who can put an eye on it.

usmcgunner

Maybe I'm mistaken. The reading that I've done led me to believe that only the 28 and 1010 had the rear locker and front lsd. And that, along with heavier rear springs and bed tie downs, those were the only differences. I thought all 1008's were open front and rear. Am I wrong?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1009 = Gov-lock rear, open front (1/2 ton axles)
1008 = Detroit locker rear, open front (1 ton axles)
1028 = Detroit locker rear, limited slip front (1 ton axles)
1010 = Detroit locker rear, open front (1 ton axles) *note, SOME had limited slip fronts
1031 = Detroit locker rear, limited slip front (1 ton axles)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the seller get you the VIN. If the 4th character is a "G" it's an M1008. If it's an "H" its going to be either an M1010, M1028 or M1031. Which models have the lockers and limited slip was covered. FYI, the front limited slip used was the Spicer "Trac-Lock"

usmcgunner

Thanks for all the replies. I did ask for pictures of the nomenclature plates and it does say 1008. It was my misunderstanding from the internet research. Is the difference in the weight rating only a matter of different spring packs in the rear? And in regards to towing capacity, what is the pintle hitch good for?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes on the springs. The M1028 and M1031 have overload springs and the M1008 does not. The M1010 doesn't have the overload but does have a quite healthy spring. As far as the pintle, I would think that it can tow more than the 6.2 will allow it to tow. They are pretty well attached to the truck. I've towed 7000# with mine but prefer to keep it around 5000# or less. My M1008 with the steel topper and all the tools trips the scales at over 7000#.

usmcgunner

Yes on the springs. The M1028 and M1031 have overload springs and the M1008 does not. The M1010 doesn't have the overload but does have a quite healthy spring. As far as the pintle, I would think that it can tow more than the 6.2 will allow it to tow. They are pretty well attached to the truck. I've towed 7000# with mine but prefer to keep it around 5000# or less. My M1008 with the steel topper and all the tools trips the scales at over 7000#.
Thank you sir. That's good insight. Practical experience always better than numbers on a plate. When you pulled you're heavier loads, did you get the sense they were trying to push your back end around? I'm used to my old F250 crew cab diesel. That thing was great to pull with. I'll have to limit my loads a bit from now on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks