• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lockers

big hoss

I am looking at buying lockers. i can only purchase 2 at the moment, my question is should i put 1 in the front and one in the back back or put both in the back?

rossbart

I have a couple of Marine Corp M800 series 5 ton dump trucks that came with Detroit Lockers. Albeit they can be a little harder to turn (especially loaded and under power). But, man, those trucks will go anywhere.

So, when I bought my M35A3 recently and realized that they are open diffs I put a pair of lockers in the rear high on my wish list. I agree that air lockers would be best (and mandatory in the front). But, I haven't been able to find any much under $1,000 each whereas I've seen Detroits for less than that a pair and require no air lines, etc.. Here is a link to the cheapest price I've seen:

Eaton Differentials 225S15 Detroit Locker Differential 16 Spline Rockwell

Can anybody confirm that this 16 spline carrier is correct for the Rockwells in the M35 dueces (including the A3's)?

armytruck63

To answer the original question, if you can only afford two locking differentials now, put them in the two rear axles.

You can always save up for an air locker in the front at a later date.

joshuaz223

that locker will fit the 2.5 ton rockwells. all diesel M35s had 16 spline axles to my knowledge. these people have the yukon locker at a good price. Yukon Grizzly Locker 2.5 ton Rockwell 16 spline i have used these in other rear ends without trouble. put the lockers in the front and back then when you can get an air locker put it in the front and move that chunk to the middle. i love lockers and will have them in my deuce after Christmas. I'm not a fan of air lockers had two of them in the mid 80s that were constant problems and i have never gone back to try them again.

emr

The military put both in the rear for a reason, as for opinions on them in the front,its that an opinion, no disrespect intended ... the weight will actually help the front as it is, and the rears need the push ... if U only have 2 put em in the rear. like uncle sam.

wikallen

If buying two selectable lockers, I would put one in the rear, and one in the front. If two "auto" lockers, I would put both in the rear, unless you had manual hub lockouts for the front on an airshift transfer case.

mudguppy

as always, i throw in my vote for Ouverson's lockers over Yukons or Detroits - i can't prove it with any specs or firsthand comparative knowledge, but i whole-heartedly believe that the Ouversons will be stronger and more reliable than the others. Plus, Randy will always stand behind his products. they are competitively priced with Detroits and not that much more than the Yukons.

that said, i'm shopping for 2 ARBs for a different project...

O.D. Fever

Put them both in the rear, as stated. If the front is locked it needs to be selectable, If all is locked and you are on a slippery slope and start to go sideways, you will roll it. If the front is open you may be able to recover, if it is locked your going to roll. 2cents