• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking air chuck suggestions?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used a couple supposed locking chucks and they're horrible. Gotta hold them in place..

Doesn't help to have a 50' air line with the regulator, valve, and gauge 30' down the line when you have to be @ the tire to hold the chuck..

My current setup is....

Glad hand adaptor -> 20ft hose -> valve -> Psi Gauge - 30ft hose -> chuck

Everything is working swimmingly, except for the chuck.

Suggestions?

(FYI, G177s, not super singles)

sweetk30

you want what they call a EUROPEN chuck . http://www.bowessealfast.com/c-264-euro-style.aspx

there is 2 styles also . open / free flow for tire machines and other devices with control of air flow .

then there is a closed style for just on a air hose with air all the time.

I have had 11.00r22.5 fall over on them and snap the brass valve off the rim and still be clipped to the brass valve.

all the rest of the socalled locking / clip on fillers suck anymore .

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetk30

for years now that is the style that comes on new tire machines .

there is a square cut oring inside that can be flipped once worn a bit then replaced if you so wish . but by then its worn and ready for a new one.

just make sure you can get your hand with the chuck in duel rim holes for the inner valve and or if singled out the back side .

this wont reach backwards like a duel head for normal duel rim use with small holes for the inner vale to be seen .

JohnnyBM931A2

Used a couple supposed locking chucks and they're horrible. Gotta hold them in place..

Doesn't help to have a 50' air line with the regulator, valve, and gauge 30' down the line when you have to be @ the tire to hold the chuck..

My current setup is....

Glad hand adaptor -> 20ft hose -> valve -> Psi Gauge - 30ft hose -> chuck

Everything is working swimmingly, except for the chuck.

Suggestions?

(FYI, G177s, not super singles)
Dumb question, but why don't you just join those 2 air lines together, then put the valve, gauge, and chuck near the end?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying you have a regulator on the line to fill tires? If so, remove the regulator and run full pressure on the line, your tires will fill up much faster that way.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
when you have to be @ the tire to hold the chuck.. Everything is working swimmingly, except for the chuck. Suggestions?
I will not hold the air chuck on by hand when I air up. I hide on other side of the truck, behind stuff.
I have tossed away about six chucks now and finally found one that will stay ON with a bit of trial/error. It is a "free flow" Milton chuck as pictured. It is an Milton S690 or S693, can't remember The problems also have to do with the external threads on the inner tube valve also being worn.
Actually I just finished all of that job last week.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...to-your-deuce-this-week&p=1748867#post1748867

milton chuck IMG_6506.jpgmilton chuck IMG_6507.jpg

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were adding 15 psi to a G177 tire on a 5 ton wheel that already had 50 psi in it, I would not worry about it blowing up on me. The danger is only when the bead of the tire is not seated correctly. If the tire has no pressure at all in it, it may be prudent to take some precautions. The BII air inflator gauge and lever is only a few feet from the chuck.

Still, never say never, and my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When dealing with these big tires and pressures involved you're never 100% safe. Standard practice in the industry is to use a cage and have the gauge either as a separate device or the gauge mounted close to the chuck.

As Castle Bravo has stated, you're relatively safe adding air standing at the tire when you are just topping off a already inflated tire. Even more so with duals as if a ring lets go, it will be captured by the duals.

In the tire cage vid above, the demo was mainly testing the cage. The tire in question was over inflated until the point of failure. Not something you're likely to incounter if your watching what you are doing and following standard tire safety.

With all that being said, I have personally seen a sidewall blow out on a tire that had been run low. It was a pretty big bang but nobody was seriously hurt.

JohnnyBM931A2

I'm not trying to be a &$#*, but if you don't know why, you shouldn't be messing with deuces, 5 tons, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlJJqHFfoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkiz1uWCF0Y
Fair enough. I just thought it was odd, since my "factory" air inflator with glad hand adapter has the chuck right near the end like a regular car tire inflator. If the tire explosions were such an issue you would think that they would have ordered different ones.

JohnnyBM931A2

when you have to be @ the tire to hold the chuck.. Everything is working swimmingly, except for the chuck. Suggestions?
I will not hold the air chuck on by hand when I air up. I hide on other side of the truck, behind stuff.
I have tossed away about six chucks now and finally found one that will stay ON with a bit of trial/error. It is a "free flow" Milton chuck as pictured. It is an Milton S690 or S693, can't remember The problems also have to do with the external threads on the inner tube valve also being worn.
Actually I just finished all of that job last week.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...to-your-deuce-this-week&p=1748867#post1748867

View attachment 574627View attachment 574628
I sit in the cab and let the CTIS inflate the tires ;)

Keith_J

Always use a clip on chuck when inflating from nothing. The best are the thread on types but I don't have a handy source at this moment. Yes, a regulator will slow it down but it makes it automatic. Just set it and hide in your bunker with air conditioning and sweet ice tea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks