• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking Cab & Tool Box?

Loose Deuce

Hey you guys think putting some hasps on the cab doors for pad locks, to keep the cab locked would look too Red Neckish? I know I'm going to put locks on the tool box door, and maybe battery box door. So may as well put one on the glove box door too, maybe? What do you guys think? :idea:

Attachments

ICEMAN71

:cool: HEY LD....my deuce already had locks on the battery box and the tool box when i picked her up from the gov. they used carriage type bolts to mount the hasp to the inside of the batt. and toolbox lids that way they are not to noticable from outside.. the other part of the hasp with the loop goes on the side of the box to the outside if that makes any sense to you. by mounting the hasps this way your locks face the back of the truck and are not hanging of the sides. :smilewinkgrin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[3][green]Here's bit of cool engineering the gov't thought of in regards to the tool box. When you look at it you see 2 holes by the latch. One above the "bat" handle and one below. The spacing of those holes is the same as the spacing on the "5200GL" governement padlock made by American Lock. You can weasel tha lockin from the back, twist it arouund the "bat" handle and back in the other hole where it can be locked! Quite Cool. Now I have a question on locks, specifically the 5200GL. I know these locks can be rekeyed and keyed alike but can they be rekeyed if you don't have the original key? I've been collecting the ones without keys from all the trucks I've purchased.[/green][/3]

rdixiemiller

Get the McMaster Carr catalog out and get some stainless steel padlock loops. Mount the loop to the cab about 1" back from the edge of the door. Now, scrounge a piece of 1/8" thick stainless, 2x4", and slot it for the loop. You can mount this to the door with SS carriage bolts. This looks good when closed, not to neckish. Using SS will keep it from rusting where the paint will chip with use. A little touch up with a spray bomb on occasion will keep this looking good. We had a tanker on a 5 ton when I was a kid in a VFD in NW Fla., and it had this setup. Ours was not stainless, so we were always brushing off the rust and touching up. If you get the loops, send me the dimensions and I can make up the door brackets. I always have SS scraps around the shop, and the equipment to do the job. All it will cost is postage to your place, and you can owe me a favor.
This will only keep honest people out, and small children! If they really want in, there goes your rag top!
Regards
Robert Miller

rdixiemiller

All
If someone will take some good pictures of the door area around the handle, I will make them up a couple of plates to try out. If you can tape a 12" ruler to the door so I can get a scale factor, it will help. I can get galvanized padlock loops cheaply from McMaster carr, or Ace for that matter. The plate is easy, I just need a few dimensions. I would also like someone to see how much up and down movement their door has when closed. I was figuring on generous clearance between the slot and the loop. It would not do to have the plate smack the loop when you closed the door.
Once I put the punch in the press, I can knock these things out extremely quickly. I would put in 4 mounting holes to bolt into the door skin. All you would have to get would be some 1/4" SS carriage bolts from your local hardware store. Heck, I might just put together door lock kits.
Let me know how much interest there is, so I can see how many to make.
Regards To All
Robert Miller

Dieselsmoke

Recovry4x4 said:
[4]Kenny, yes they can be re-keyed even if you don't have the original. I had about fifteen of them done and keyed alike so now I can lock all my rigs and have only one key. Now here's the kicker...it cost me about $15 a lock to have them done, other places wanted $25 a piece![/4]

da_sgt

[3]IMHO Locks are for kids and Honest people, don't think I woudl waste the $ to keep someone out. A hidden power cut-off switch is really the way to go.[/3]

rdixiemiller

I think the issue is not someone steeling the deuce, but having a kid get in side and knock it out of gear would really suck. I agree with the power cut off switch, but I also like the padlock in plain view, it says "Keep Out".
I am going to make up a couple of pairs and send them out to a couple of people to let me know if I have the dimensions right.

Elwenil

I wonder how hard it would be it put in a paddle latch and lock, like on a semi? Seems that if the door is thick enough to allow for the mechanism, that retrofitting one on shouldn't be too difficult. Might not look military, but it would be neater than a padlock. Just a thought.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's my plans to modify my emergency brake handle to accept a padlock. That thing is an accident waiting to happen. Access is too easy!

Desert Rat

Well, ya gotta remember these trucks were designed for combat use which is ease of access in a combat situation for our troops. If these trucks are going to be used in civy applications then we need to modify these trucks with civy security systems so certain fingers don't do walking where they are not wanted or needed. Personally I remove the connector between the two batteries when I'm not using 'Storm and keep very few tools and so on in the tool box. I keep quite a few tools in the 109 box because I can padlock the rear doors and not worry about break-ins.

Loose Deuce

[3]I just got 6 of those Military type locks off ebay #5200GL, so now I about ready. I'm taking her out on her first trip to a Military Post where some WWII reenacting will be done and I will have a lot of tools and gear. Plus I will sleep in the back one night, hope it dont get too cold. I know the locks wont stop someone determined, but it may help against people plundering around and touching all the gadgets in the cab. :roll: :roll: [/3]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locks prevent opportunistic theft. My biggest concern isn't so much theft, but curious fingers touching the wrong things like e-brake handles and the such.

Monster Man

just locking a door makes all the difference in the world- of all the things that have been stolen from me, it's all been crimes of opportunity. My old neighborhood was real bad- at least once a month there'd be a crackhead trying to sell me stolen tools, etc., got a drill stolen out the cab of my truck because I left the window down. Left some pliers out overnight, forgot to put them away, and a pair of gloves anopther night, both gone. OOPS.... On my dad's jobsite the other night they siphoned 60 gallons of diesel out of the non locking gas cap on the crane, stole all the rigging, and anything else that wasn't bolted down. SOmebody forgot to lock the gate. Another guy got his truck stolen because it was running. It's my belief, even though yes, the determined thieves that know what you have will get it, that most thefts are by opportunity so always lock your doors and don't leave your vehicle running etc. When I park the deuce and run in somewehre I always leave it by the front window so I can see it the whole time. Sad, sad world, and no matter how small a town there's always some loser somewhere that wants your stuff :(
I'm on the lookout for some locking toolbox handles to replace the door handles with, or if that doesn't work our, some deadbolts, that would be cleanest. I am deadset against drilling holes on this truck, but dang, I carry way too much $ worth of tools to play around with.

Longhunter7

MM!

The Deuce was modified with many bolt on items in just about every motorpool!

Drilling holes to mount something should not be a problem! If you look at pictures of Deuces in field use, you will see antenna mounts in various locations and all kinds of add on stuff!

Go ahead and make the Deuce user friendly and paint what ever you add to match! :smilewinkgrin:

rdixiemiller

Agreed. I saw deuces on manuever in Fla around Eglin AFB and they had all kinds of stuff bolted on. I saw some that had padlocks on the doors, spare tires, and just about anything that could grow legs and walk off.
If you are dead set against visible modifications, try some of the remote entry systems the kids use on their trucks. You could have an electric solenoid latch inside the door!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks