• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking Door Handles for X doors

fnpurist

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative than kascar for keyed locking door handles for X doors that don't require modifying the doors?

fnpurist

Well I got the southco latches and here is a pic of the back. I haven't had a chance to bring them to the hmmwv to see if I can make them work but I know they look a lot different than the ones on there. Has anyone installed latches like these ? If so, what did you have to do?

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably won't work....latch part is totally different.
The Kascar handles hole pattern is slightly different than the originals I was told also.

fnpurist

I didn't get these from kascar. I wonder if kascar's look the same as mine on the back or if they have that little eyelet like the originals. Also if you look close at my pic, there is a threaded hole on the latch bar. Maybe there is a male threaded eyelet I could buy to Install there. Or maybe I could just drill a hole in the top part of the latch bar and stick the connecting rod that goes to the striker latch in it. Hard to know without having them both in hand

fnpurist

Well I had a little time to mess with the latches today. 86hmmwv, you are right about the holes being slightly off. Two of them will line up but the other two will have to be enlarged 1/16" or so. I went and bought (4) 1/4"x2" SS threaded eyebolts to try and make the latch work but it didn't look promising. I held the eyebolt loop in a pair of vice grip pliers and threaded a nut on to the stud part, I grabbed the nut with a pair of channel lock pliers and bent it to around 90 degrees. Everything works great even after repeatedly slamming the door and pulling on the latch rapidly. The only thing I need to do is use a pair of needle nose to bend the drop rod bracket around the eyebolt better. Here are some pics. Not bad for $11 a latch and a total of $5 worth of eyebolts.

Attachments

fnpurist

Here is a pic of the old amg handle. I've been trying to find a pic of the back of the kascar locking latch for awhile now but haven't been able to

Attachments

fnpurist

Southco part number: 64-50-412-50
A pivot pawl latch would have made it easier to modify but all the ones I saw had 8 holes drilled for attaching the base plate instead of the 4 holes like we need

fnpurist

Big thanks to Nickd for sending a pic of the kascar latch. It looks like Kascar used the same latch I have and fabricated it using the original eyelet from the stock latches but I could be wrong

Attachments

Roadfixr

You can get whatever color HUMVEE locking door handles you want at FederalMilitaryParts.com It's also the only place I know of where you can buy HUMVEE locking door handles that lock from the INSIDE as well as the outside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks