• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking fuel cap

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am not for locking fuel caps because if some one is going to steal fuel, I would rather lose a fuel cap then a punched hole in the fuel tank and ALL the non stolen fuel on the ground.

therooster2001

Be very careful. I bought one on eBay, went to put it on, and it felt a little hard to turn, turned it a bit more and it was stuck. I ended up beating it with a sledge to get it off, and the key mechanism broke. Luckily, no metal shards in the fuel and I put my old one back on with no issues. I won't try that again. It was supposedly the right diameter and thread, but something was very wrong.. I bet I got a bum one..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451277498.306986.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451277545.614503.jpg

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The size is correct. You have to remove the screen/strainer for these particular caps to install and operate properly.

162tcat

It's unlikely that someone would punch a hole in your tank because of a locking fuel cap. They'd probably just move on to the next guy. A locking cap is good security not only for fuel theft but to keep unwanted items from ending up in your fuel tank (vandalism).

twisted60

I bought a locking fuel cap from TMG and it fits good and locks easily, I feel money well spent for the above reason, not so much stealing of fuel but putting unwanted items in the tank.
Just my 2 cents.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why would they punch a hole in the bottom of the tank when there is a drain plug?
Not all drain plugs come out easy, not all fuel thiefs carry a big enough wrench, on the 930 series it is harder to punch a hole then the older tanks.

Shark Bait

Be very careful. I bought one on eBay, went to put it on, and it felt a little hard to turn, turned it a bit more and it was stuck. I ended up beating it with a sledge to get it off, and the key mechanism broke. Luckily, no metal shards in the fuel and I put my old one back on with no issues. I won't try that again. It was supposedly the right diameter and thread, but something was very wrong.. I bet I got a bum one..

View attachment 600866View attachment 600867
These work well, but yes the screen on the 5 ton. Not on my other trucks though.

zout

Reminds me of the gas shortage in the 70's....folks buying locking fuel caps up the waaazoo. Problem is all one needs is a body pic hammer and puncture a hole in the bottom of your tank to steal it. Then your worse off.

Just brought back back a flashback when I read it.

162tcat

I've never heard of someone punching a hole in the tank. Ever. I drive truck for a living and have heard many stories of stolen fuel without a locking cap or junk dumped in the tank but never a hole punched in the tank. Not saying it couldn't happen but I'd say your 1000 times more likely to have fuel stolen without a locking cap than to have a hole punched in your tank with one. Let's be realistic here....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A replacement cap from Memphis equipment will set ya back around $71. Why would someone not rig up a hasp that would connect to the plate and then over the top of the cap and just secure the other part of the hasp to the cap to and slap it over and lock it up. or would it look too tacky?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A replacement cap from Memphis equipment will set ya back around $71. Why would someone not rig up a hasp that would connect to the plate and then over the top of the cap and just secure the other part of the hasp to the cap to and slap it over and lock it up. or would it look too tacky?

GoldnEagle has done the very same thing. I think there are pictures in his m923 build thread

MtnSnow

An easy way to prevent someone from stealing fuel or dropping something in is to have a very large pair a channel lock pliers and tighten up the cap so it can not be easily unscrewed by hand.... Don't over think it or over engineer it. Heck all they need is a crescent wrench and pull the drain plug to steal your fuel or a pick ax. Thieves are all about fast and easy so if they can't get in quickly they just move on usually.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks