• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

locking out the rear axle M1009

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would have to engineer everything yourself. I'd bet the housing can be machined to accept a front spindle and brakes but that means rear discs. Double splined axles will also have to be sourced.

oilcan

Are you talking about rear locking hubs, or a diff locker?

1) It already has a limited slip. I suppose real lockers are available...

2)I thought I've seen 10 bolt full floater kits with locking hubs included?

jw4x4

Are you referring to the type of transfer cases which can be used to "unlock" (free up) the rear driveshaft so that you can do a slide maneuver with the front end? This method is very popular with the rock crawler crowd.

2deuce

Thanks for the replys. I was wondering if there was a kit to make a full floater or better yet if parts off a front axle could be used or whatever and hit the u-pullit yards.

I would like to tow my 1009 behind my camper and not have to re-install the driveline. I have disconnected that driveline quite a few times and it would be slick if I could lockout the hubs instead. The M1009 is alot heavier than my CJ5 but it is really nice intow. I have seen jeeps with the lockout hubs in the rear and I think warn made a kit for the D44.

Thanks

oilcan

You're looking for a kit that fits a 10 bolt. I remember seeing one in a random 4x4 magazine ad not too long ago. 4 wheel parts, I think.

It's a good idea for flat towing, for sure!

Broncoman

Due to the design of your T-case they can't be modified for a "twin stick" design to allow front axle only. The best choice is to get a hub conversion for the rear axle. You would have the option for lockouts, just like the front axle. This would be the easiest way to lock and unlock them, but not the strongest. Drive flanges would be the strongest but you would have to remove them and reinstall them each time. You could always change out the T-case for an aftermarket one like a Atlas or similar one, they would offer the front axle only mode. Not 100% sure but on the ford style NP208s most people just shift the T-case into neutral to flat tow with out having to remove anything.

K10A

I have a converted to full float w/ disc brakes and detroit 4.56 ratio rear 12 bolt for sale if anyone is interested.

AJMBLAZER

Warn used to make a kit to make the 10 bolt rear axle a full floating axle and one of the options was locking hubs. They stopped making it and several of the other non-Jeep specific offerings several years ago. Not enough interest.

AJMBLAZER

The rear driveshaft turning creates cavitation in the transfer case. This is bad. There's a reason every good towing company disconnects the rear driveshaft before towing a 4x4 or RWD vehicle from the front.