• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockout hub problem

dcwilkie

I installed the half-axle and a lockout hub on the center axle on the driver's side. Now on occasion it feels like the clutch slips and re-engages when turning sharply right (only right). Anyone else have this happen :confused:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You dont have locking diffs, correct? Could you try jacking up the center axle spin the wheels by hand to see if you feel anything in the driveline? I am intrested because I would like to do the same mod as you someday.

jimm1009

I have heard that some Marine M35's had locking or limited slip although I do not know for sure.
I would immediately lock the hub in until you prove the open differential installation for sure.
Good luck and please post your findings as this is something that most of us want to do too.
Jimm1009

v8turbo

Are you getting any "clunk" noises or does it feel like the truck hit a patch of ice and then got traction?

Sometimes a locker will give that feeling usually with a pop/clunk/jerk...etc.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have heard that some Marine M35's had locking or limited slip although I do not know for sure.
That is some USMC M809 series 5 tons only. No deuces or M39 5 tons had lockers.

dcwilkie

More of a patch of ice

Are you getting any "clunk" noises or does it feel like the truck hit a patch of ice and then got traction?

Sometimes a locker will give that feeling usually with a pop/clunk/jerk...etc.
It's more like I pushed the clutch pedal in just enough to disengage a little and then a surge of power. I was accelerating at the time. No clunk or jerk at all.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe try switching the lockout and shaft to the back rear axle or maybe to the other side and see if it still does it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in the deep south we call that, "Tire Spin". Seriously, when driving the deuce one one axle, it's really easy to spin the tires and on right turns, you transfer more weight to the left side because in general, the turns are tighter. I'd bet lunch and a moon pie on this one!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The way to test this theory will be to go somewhere deserted (and paved obviously) and try to duplicate the problem. Upon duplicating it, stop and get out and see if there are the tell tale skid marks.

If so, moderate your takeoff. Do you take off in first or second?

C

dcwilkie

I start off in 1st from a standstill, 2nd if I'm still rolling.
Tire spin is EXACTLY what that was.
I don't have a clutch problem- either mechanically or "riding" it, so that eliminated one possibility.
One advantage no one seems to mention about locking out the center axle is the smoother acceleration when starting from a complete stop. With both axles driving it always felt like I was "launching" the Deuce with all that torque.

Last edited:

dcwilkie

I thought maybe some of you guys would like to see the completed installation. Here are two pics.
I painted the cap bolts black and plan to paint the pointers where it locks and unlocks either red or silver so I can see it better (gettin' old and cain't see no more).
I have driven it locked and unlocked. Unlocked turns this beast into a better road cruiser; not only making it a little easier to steer, but there is definitely less vibration than I had before.

Attachments

Last edited:

dcwilkie

Final word- was it worth it?
I would say the front axle lockouts are well-worth the expense and they are certainly no problem to install. It really makes a difference in the way this beast steers.
The center axle lockout? Not bad for cruising, but I'm not particularly sure it's worth the $510.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks