• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long but happy story

Lax

Well I just wanted to give everyone an update on my 72 AM General. I have attached the photos. I got my Duce through GL out of Fort Drum in Watertown, NY. The truck was in pretty good condition (I thought) when I got it. The cargo box was rusted away badly from the very bad winters we get in Upstate New York and I needed to get a new one. Just for proof of the bad weather the 10th Mountain Division moved there in the 80s because the weather in Alaska was not cold enough for them! No problem in Watertown, New York. Now they get the added plus of winds off of Lake Ontario. :cookoo:

Anyway, the truck was set up just the way I wanted it with a winch and a hardtop. As the day of truth arrived our little caravan left for Ft Drum with some of my closest friends, my dad and of course all the kids for a day of adventure having NO IDEA what to expect. We got more then a few looks as we ALL entered Ft. Drum. After about an hour of making ready based on a two page check list I made from all the advice I got from you guys on SS we were ready to go. I though. Having never driven one of these big boys I figured I would learn on the job. I drive cars, tractors, boats, trucks, bull dozers and I even fly a plane so I figured I could handle it. I was mostly right. As we all pulled out of the DRMO the truck seemed to be running pretty high RPMs. That went on for about 300 yards and I said this is not right. Back to the DRMO we go with my hart in my throat. All I'm thinking is boy did I just get screwed and it is going to be a VERY VERY LONG 200 MILE RIDE HOME AT 15mph. I asked Ken at the DRMO with fear in my eyes if only 15mph is right. I knew it wasn't in case you are wondering. He said "I don't think so but let's take a look. I don't really know much about these things" Oh great! Two blind mice. He jumps in and asked if it was in low gear? How the hell do I know I said?? How can you tell? "I think it is one of these levers" he said. Let's try this one I said but I'm only going to do it for a second because one of these levers if for the winch I think. Guess which one I tried?? Bingo! I now know the winch works really good. I just hit it for a second so it just tightened up the cable a little and did not even move the chain. :shock: Lesson one in the bag. Next! Ken pulls UP on the next lever over and all the sudden we are cooking with gas. There is a god! And he must want me to go home. Who am I to argue with that? Bye bye DRMO! Thanks Ken. It's been fun.

The trip home was hot but fun. The more the truck ran the better it ran. We had some leaking of oil that I thought was not that bad. (Stay tuned because lesson number two is right around the corner and I can hardly wait.)

After we got the Duce home I needed to get that cargo box off. I got some good help from mangus580 (thanks Mike!). It was about that time I was told that my Duce would be the center of the Freshman homecoming float in a few weeks. Oh boy I had a lot of work to do if it was going to be in the homecoming parade.

I found a cargo box about 70 miles a way down the New York State Thruway. Off I head one nice Thursday morning. 70 Miles later I arrive and when I get out of the truck black stuff is running out it. By now I have bought a operating manual and I'm almost sure that it is not supposed to be pissing black stuff that looks very much like oil all over this nice man's parking lot. When he came out to ask how I was doing I said not good (remember lessen two I was telling you about earlier?) When I pointed out my new trick he was not at all impressed but said what I most feared but already knew what it was. For you guys I will whisper it because I know how upsetting it is to hear. Okay I'm whispering now..... rear main seal. There, I said it. Never again will I say it. I said "OH (insert bad words here)!! to the nice man.

The nice man knew he could fix it and I only needed two little things to make it all better. That's good news. Only two things?? Yes. One was time. I have some of that but not much. What was the other thing you say??? Why money was the only other thing I needed. In fact, all I needed was as much money as I spent for the truck just a few short weeks ago. That made the math really easy for me. I usually like easy math. This time I did not. Oh and for the record. Yes all the oil did get into the clutch too so I got to get a new rear main #$@^ (I almost said it again didn't I?) AND a new clutch! [thumbzup]. The man was nice and in all seriousness he did a great job.

I picked it up two days later with my friend Mike's help and went right from there to the paint shop with my almost new now truck. After paint I got my decals from Dave (67Beast on Steel Solders http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm ). He did a GREAT job and has been great to deal with. Thanks Dave!

To finish this far to long of a story the truck is home now. Last weekend it helped the Freshman Class (Class of 2010) win first prize for their float. I hope you like to finished product. I still have some interior stuff to do but as of now we're all set and ready to go.

I would like to thank all you guys for all your help. I will have many more questions for you starting this weekend and you guys have been great. I hope I can help you guys out some day. I would like to thank my buddies Mike N and Tate C. I could not have done it without them. God bless everyone and sorry for the way to long story. At least it has a happy ending. :driver:

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that was strange! They werent there when I posted...sorry! You gonna put the rear tarp back on?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot, Very nice looking truck! Have lots of fun with it.

Lax

No problem Will. I Will be putting the cover on soon. It's camo though so it may look a little funny but it may look kind of cool too. As soon as it stops raining and it warms up it's going on.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
wow, that's fast work! Looks fantastic! :beer:

devilman96

Lax...

Awesome job!!! I know the problem child jinxed truck thingo all to well so your not alone there.. Good to see you got it fixed and I LOVE the color!!!

Lax

GBooth,
I used (24087) Olive Drab (semi-gloss). For the first few weeks it looked much browner then I wanted and I thought to myself I made a mistake going with the "original" color. I had read about guys not happy with the color. I also read that after a while the true color comes out and it looks better. I have to say that is coming true. The color is starting to settle down and look much better now. Or I'm just getting used to it... I like it much better now.

Lax

JWaller,
I really like that decal too. Talk to Dave (67Beast) about them. He made a few for me. They're very cool.

Dave, I want a sales commission for all the decals I sell for you!!! rofl

67Beast

Lax said:
JWaller,
I really like that decal too. Talk to Dave (67Beast) about them. He made a few for me. They're very cool.

Dave, I want a sales commission for all the decals I sell for you!!! rofl
Here is a close up of the decal. If anyone is interested in the decals, just shoot me a PM.