• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Distance Retrieval: The Hard Way

spectre6000

I am very seriously entertaining an M1009 that is currently about 1K miles away. It's fresh out, and the seller says he'll drive it around a week or two in advance to make sure the fuel system is properly flowing, take it to a shop to have any work done on it I want before I get there, take it to a tire shop for me, etc. The plan will require that I fly down and drive back over the course of a weekend. I'm extremely good with cars, but I have never had a diesel, and I'm not intimately familiar with M1009s or Chevrolet (or any American manufacturer) engineering. I have done long distance extractions this way many times in the past, and have always made it back in one piece. I have gone so far as to load a giant duffel full of most of an engine (small engine), fly it with me, and do some pretty significant work in Wal~Mart parking lots.

The difference between this and those is that I'm not very familiar with these trucks. What sorts of issues should I expect? What should I assume needs to be done before driving the truck 1K miles? I can have the shop replace the fluids easily enough or even do it in a FLAPS parking lot, but what else? My initial thought is toward anything rubber having to do with the drive train; harmonic balancer, there are parts in the injection pump that could probably stand to be replaced... Anything else? That said, I can do a lot of these things myself given the time, though that'll be a challenge since I have to get in and out in under two days...

What should I pay to have done? What should I expect to do before I leave? What can wait until after the 1000 mile drive? What should I not even worry about?

Skinny

Rent a one way truck and trailer. No water what you prepare for, you will run into something good or bad. Getting familia with the CUCV systems is best left at home and not on the side of the road needing to get home on a timeframe. Do you feel like dropping the tank to replace the flex lines, replacing an alternator near impossible to find off the shelf cheaply, or figuring out where the fuel filter is leaking fuel past the o-ring? Skip it and just get the thing home first IMO. Some people like the challenge which is cool if you have an entire week and no job waiting for you to get back to on time...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a basic vehicle, the learning curve can get frustrating for some. You could try it but have a contingency plan in place. I have AAA Platinum which nets me a tow of up to 200 miles.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that most of the CUCVs fresh out need about $1000 in parts and tires to be dependably operational.

spectre6000

Skinny, AECS: The cost to rent a UHaul trailer and truck to tow it that distance, last I checked (about two years ago) was $800. That's IF the UHaul rep isn't a complete idiot and can figure out how to rent a freaking trailer, IF they'll allow such a "massive" vehicle to be towed, and IF the equipment I receive isn't a death trap. The last (LAST) time I attempted to extract a vehicle with equipment from UHaul, they wouldn't let me tow a little VW on a flat bed vehicle hauler with an F-150 because it was "too big", and I'm pretty sure anything else not in their computer or mental view of the world will also be "too big". The LAST time I ever gave UHaul money, they gave me a truck for a one way trip that required 45 degrees of hard steering input to drive straight for 1000 miles, and refused to acknowledge there was a problem. Part of the point of purchasing this truck is as a tow rig for the much smaller, lighter European cars I typically play with.

Davo727, I haven't read about this anywhere in all my research so far. Is this a normal run o' the mill relay? How common do they go out? Is there are part number? Anything of particular interest about it that makes it special? Is it worth jumping the starter leads in the short term?

Recovery4x4, the only curve I'm all that concerned over is the diesel eccentricities, and anything GM messed up at the design and sourcing phase. I've dealt with cylinder counts from two to twelve, air and water cooled, front-, rear-, mid- engined, front, rear, and all wheel drive, British, German, Japanese, American, Swedish, Italian, probably something else I'm forgetting, etc. etc. As an aside, I just realized I've never owned a rotary... I should probably look into that... I've worked on a diesel Mercedes, but nothing specific to its being a diesel. I've just never owned a diesel or worked on anything diesel specific, and never got excited enough over anything from GM to add one to the fleet though I've worked on others' cars who have. I used to work in biodiesel feedstocks, and have plenty of experience with diesel as a fuel, but know more about the chemistry than injector pumps and glow plugs which are about the only things aside from the model specific parts I have any concern over, and even then purely from the point of view of "a wise man knows when he doesn't know". I have a choice of insuring the truck through USAA, who has an excellent towing program as well, or putting it with my other cars on a Hagerty policy, who has an even better towing program.

All, I'm a big boy. This will be the newest car I've done this with by at least two decades. I was about to say it will be the newest car I've owned since college by at least two decades, but I remembered I had a 1974 FJ40 a while back. I daily drive car that is literally twice my age. They're older, more obscure, harder to find parts for, and require specialized tools and shops. I've put out an engine fire and rebuilt a harness on the side of the road in the desert with discarded trailer wire, then drove it 700 more miles. It wasn't my car, and I found out a bit ago that part of the harness wasn't replaced for another two years or so after I bought the car from the guy and replaced the harness front to back. Believe me when I say I've got this. I'm not saying it won't be without event. These are not complicated vehicles, parts exist and are far more readily available than what I'm usually dealing with, and I'll be on major roads and reasonably well populated areas.

What I need to know is what parts I should be sure to replace before I start, what services should I perform or have performed before I start, what parts I should bring on contingency, and what is worth looking out for. Are there any special tools I should be sure to bring beyond the obvious kit? Tires and fluids are a given. I'm not generally concerned about electronics unless the insulation is stiff enough to crack when flexed, someone has poorly installed some stupid stereo or something, or there are obvious signs of rot and deterioration. Things like suspension bushings and window seals will almost assuredly need to be replaced, but they'll be just fine for 1,000 miles; I'm no stranger to keeping a towel in the glove box for rain seeping through ancient window seals. I'm thinking the fuel injector pump might need to be rebuilt. The hardened internals for multifuel purposes should be fine, but there are a number of rubber gaskets and o-rings that might be suspect. Do they frequently fail? Glow plugs are a device I'm not familiar with in terms of longevity with idleness, though I can't think of a reason they would just go bad from sitting. Injectors may need to be cleaned, and I'll probably run some diesel system cleaner through it if the PO hasn't already. This truck will have been sitting for a long time, sure, but it was pretty well maintained before that with relatively little use, and it's a fairly modern design that was made more robust and simpler for its application. Is there anything obvious I've missed? Anything super weird like the glow plug circuit thing that I've read goes bad from time to time and seems to be frequently bypassed? It'll be late spring/early summer though, so cold starts won't likely be much of an issue.

Worst case scenario, I have manuals and plenty of time to study and research between now and when I fly down. Just thought I'd try to cut a corner and ask people who already know versus attempting to reinvent the wheel.

AECS

Well it sounds like you have it for action. I cant imagine that the IP will just fail on you going down the road, theyt usually wear out over time from what I can tell as opposed to a catastrophic failure.

I would give it a good service of all fluids bumper to bumper (note that the brakes use DOT5 not 3. They are not compatable). Clean and grease front wheel bearings (will need a GM spindle nut socket avail at autozone) a spare fuel filter and 2 freash good batteries.

These are very simple machines, I would imagine you will be fine on the trip if the current owner is able to drive it for a week or so before you pick it up.

spectre6000

Good to know on the IP, and I'm aware of the DOT 5 brake fluid and how it behaves in relation to glycol-based hydraulic fluids. I'll hold off fueling up with biodiesel until I get back to the homestead and have replaced the fuel system-related rubber bits. Fuel filters are good to know for diesel specific. That wasn't on my list. Thanks big time for that one! I'll check the dates on the batteries as well. They tend to come out without batteries or with thoroughly dead batteries, so I imagine he'd have a hard time driving it around at all without replacing them. What's special about the GM Spindle nut socket? Also, what are the torque specs on that nut?

tobyS

The output bearing problem on my transfer case would have eaten any savings of driving mine home. Glad to pay the trucking.

Have 2 fully charged large batteries if you cannot verify he replaced them.

Notify your kidney surgeon.

Edit...ok my mistake...had 5 tons on the brain and now see it's an M1009. Disregard the kidney comment.

Last edited:

spectre6000

Isolated incidents will happen, I can really only concern myself with common predictable problems. I've had to swap engines in a parking lot before, and recognize that things happen. I also have a family friend that regularly hauls cars from near where this truck is to here in exchange for the gas money one way; cost is not really the big concern. If the batteries are more than three years old or so, I'll just swap them out for new at the nearest FLAPS.

What's the deal with the kidney surgeon?

tobyS

!000 miles will be rough on ones kidneys with the suspension these trucks have. Good luck and be sure to keep us informed.

Edit...I had 5 tons on the brain...sorry...would not apply to M1009.

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Spectre6000, As I told you when you looked at mine before you started shopping, I drove 900mi one way, after buying mine, with a $90 dollar one way standby ticket back home, just in case it wasn't what I expected when I looked at it. I got lucky I guess, made it the 900 miles back and has not really failed me yet other than the mods and misc tweaks I have done. The only issue I had was a leaky fuel pump which I changed when I got home. I have 4000 miles since I got her home without issue. I have an extra box of all 3 belts, an extra ST85, extra alt, wire kit and all the old relays and stuff I removed for the upgrades I put in, if you want those items, let me know and we can arrange for you to come grab them. You can keep them with you for your trip and return them when you get back.
I know how you are and you have waited awhile, so I say, go for it! Just make sure the truck runs, the alts are charging and you feel comfortable with fluids, brakes, oil issues, lights, ect and don't run out of fuel. its gonna be a noisy ride home my ears rang for two days before I added all the sound deadening and flooring. Bring your Ipad and earphones, no music sucks for 900 miles bro...

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Spectre6000-which way are you going? Im heading to Salina Kansas, next weekend, to pick up a new M101 trailer from Glenn and could follow ya back at least for 700 of those miles if your going East..I leave Friday morning, spending the night and am heading back Saturday morning.

spectre6000

Ah! Right. I'm told they're loud too... I've been for a ride in M1009 Newbee's, as he pointed out while I was initially typing this. Ride quality and noise levels are very relative. My current DD is about as rough if not more so due to a stiff performance oriented suspension and very light weight, and it's much MUCH louder. The mass of the 1009 smooths the ride out a bit.

M1009 Newbee, have you heard from your secret guy as to whether or not another will be available in the not too distant future? Yours was exactly the quality I'm looking for, and that's a known reference over my current lead which I have no way to gauge right now without giving away my source. Your injector issue that cropped up after a while is what got me thinking about the sorts of things I need to prepare for. 7 cylinders will run for a good long while though...

Edit: I would be potentially coming west from Salina, but I don't have the deal nailed down yet. The seller is an old dude and communication is not his thing... I've got time.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

I have heard from him and he is finishing one up 86 009, that should be ready in mid-May, early June but my son has indicated an interest, so if he doesn't decide to buy it, Ill let you know. I'll let you know if I decide to pass on it. Its really all about my son and if he finds something else between now and then. He is really interested in them and has been helping me work on mine.
I got all the bugs worked out of mine (clogged/inop injector) and it drives like a champ. I found a stanadyne place local that can check things out for you when you get yours. (in Arvada) It started every time this winter and I have done lots since you last saw it; just installed a nice radio and speakers that I'll update on my album this weekend.
Stay in touch, let me know how it goes. Too bad the timing didn't work out with me picking up that trailer and your drive back but the trailer has been waiting for me for a month and I needed to make the trip this next weekend. I picked it up from another SS member on the site. Ill be driving the 009 down to pick it up, so Ill let you know how it goes. I'm bringing my son, all my extra parts and tools but it should be fine.
Good Luck!

Skinny

Skinny, AECS: The cost to rent a UHaul trailer and truck to tow it that distance, last I checked (about two years ago) was $800. That's IF the UHaul rep isn't a complete idiot and can figure out how to rent a freaking trailer, IF they'll allow such a "massive" vehicle to be towed, and IF the equipment I receive isn't a death trap. The last (LAST) time I attempted to extract a vehicle with equipment from UHaul, they wouldn't let me tow a little VW on a flat bed vehicle hauler with an F-150 because it was "too big", and I'm pretty sure anything else not in their computer or mental view of the world will also be "too big". The LAST time I ever gave UHaul money, they gave me a truck for a one way trip that required 45 degrees of hard steering input to drive straight for 1000 miles, and refused to acknowledge there was a problem. Part of the point of purchasing this truck is as a tow rig for the much smaller, lighter European cars I typically play with.

Davo727, I haven't read about this anywhere in all my research so far. Is this a normal run o' the mill relay? How common do they go out? Is there are part number? Anything of particular interest about it that makes it special? Is it worth jumping the starter leads in the short term?

Recovery4x4, the only curve I'm all that concerned over is the diesel eccentricities, and anything GM messed up at the design and sourcing phase. I've dealt with cylinder counts from two to twelve, air and water cooled, front-, rear-, mid- engined, front, rear, and all wheel drive, British, German, Japanese, American, Swedish, Italian, probably something else I'm forgetting, etc. etc. As an aside, I just realized I've never owned a rotary... I should probably look into that... I've worked on a diesel Mercedes, but nothing specific to its being a diesel. I've just never owned a diesel or worked on anything diesel specific, and never got excited enough over anything from GM to add one to the fleet though I've worked on others' cars who have. I used to work in biodiesel feedstocks, and have plenty of experience with diesel as a fuel, but know more about the chemistry than injector pumps and glow plugs which are about the only things aside from the model specific parts I have any concern over, and even then purely from the point of view of "a wise man knows when he doesn't know". I have a choice of insuring the truck through USAA, who has an excellent towing program as well, or putting it with my other cars on a Hagerty policy, who has an even better towing program.

All, I'm a big boy. This will be the newest car I've done this with by at least two decades. I was about to say it will be the newest car I've owned since college by at least two decades, but I remembered I had a 1974 FJ40 a while back. I daily drive car that is literally twice my age. They're older, more obscure, harder to find parts for, and require specialized tools and shops. I've put out an engine fire and rebuilt a harness on the side of the road in the desert with discarded trailer wire, then drove it 700 more miles. It wasn't my car, and I found out a bit ago that part of the harness wasn't replaced for another two years or so after I bought the car from the guy and replaced the harness front to back. Believe me when I say I've got this. I'm not saying it won't be without event. These are not complicated vehicles, parts exist and are far more readily available than what I'm usually dealing with, and I'll be on major roads and reasonably well populated areas.

What I need to know is what parts I should be sure to replace before I start, what services should I perform or have performed before I start, what parts I should bring on contingency, and what is worth looking out for. Are there any special tools I should be sure to bring beyond the obvious kit? Tires and fluids are a given. I'm not generally concerned about electronics unless the insulation is stiff enough to crack when flexed, someone has poorly installed some stupid stereo or something, or there are obvious signs of rot and deterioration. Things like suspension bushings and window seals will almost assuredly need to be replaced, but they'll be just fine for 1,000 miles; I'm no stranger to keeping a towel in the glove box for rain seeping through ancient window seals. I'm thinking the fuel injector pump might need to be rebuilt. The hardened internals for multifuel purposes should be fine, but there are a number of rubber gaskets and o-rings that might be suspect. Do they frequently fail? Glow plugs are a device I'm not familiar with in terms of longevity with idleness, though I can't think of a reason they would just go bad from sitting. Injectors may need to be cleaned, and I'll probably run some diesel system cleaner through it if the PO hasn't already. This truck will have been sitting for a long time, sure, but it was pretty well maintained before that with relatively little use, and it's a fairly modern design that was made more robust and simpler for its application. Is there anything obvious I've missed? Anything super weird like the glow plug circuit thing that I've read goes bad from time to time and seems to be frequently bypassed? It'll be late spring/early summer though, so cold starts won't likely be much of an issue.

Worst case scenario, I have manuals and plenty of time to study and research between now and when I fly down. Just thought I'd try to cut a corner and ask people who already know versus attempting to reinvent the wheel.
This is cute...

Congratulations on your success, do you want a cookie? No matter how smart you are, your recovery can range from awesome to fail. My truck shipped from GA to ME was $1300...boo hoo. How bad do you want it? If you are tight over $800, then find a buddy with a 1 ton and tow bar or take up jogging as a hobby.

spectre6000

I don't have any desire for any cookies, just answers to the question asked. I have a family friend not far from where the truck is currently located that will haul it up here for me for something on the order of $400 (cost of gas one way). It's not at all about the money. The point is I know what I'm doing and have done it many times before. It's the equivalent of a vacation for me. When I run out of things to do on the cars I have, want something different, get bored, what have you, I get a new project vehicle. Don't get defensive or whatever that was.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you're not concerned with electrical, we won't need to discuss the run on starter or the dual voltage issues of the truck. You will need tools, extra fuel filters, credit card and a phone (with a way to charge it.) Might could add a fuel can as the gauges aren't always accurate. The one thing I always travel with is an electrical first aid kit comprised of wire, fusible links, connectors and step down butt connectors. That 's just me though.