• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Island NY to Annapolis MD

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning a drive from NY to MD in the next few weekends , possibly weekend of the 4th . Any advice / experience from members about this route ?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
It will be a long hot drive.There a lot of tolls from from Md to Long Island.Avoid Manhattan.I drove a MACK truck back from L.I. to my place last year, the GPS took me thru Manhattan...What a cluster f@$k...

greenjeepster

The toll in NJ is going to be 100 bucks on a 3 axle. The GWB or any other crossing into NY is going to be 57.00, the tolls in NY crossing to Long Island are going to be 26.00 each, bring plenty of cash, they don't take credit cards.

Avoiding Manhattan is going to be nearly impossible as you will be restricted from any of the parkways due to the size of your truck... You could go out to Staten Island and cross Verrazano Narrows, but I think that will be the only way to get to Long Island without going directly through the City.

Last edited:

Scrounger

First off I’ll leave it up to you as to how to escape New York.
There are two ways that I would travel since you are thinking of taking 95.
The first route I would take is 495 around Wilmington De to 13S, which is rite before 495 merges with 95. Take 13S though New Castle, 13S and route 1 merge at the route 40 light, just stay left, down to 896. Make a right on 896 to 301, it is well marked and there is a Wawa on the left at the light. Take 896 to 301S, you will only be on 896 for a couple of miles and the intersection has a light. Make a left on 301S, travel thru Middletown De and a couple of miles you will enter the Peoples Republic of Maryland. 301S will merge with 50 W and take you over the Bay Bridge. Depending on the time and day most traffic will be going east to the shore. This will take you into Annapolis. This route has no tolls and is flat and level.
The second way would be take 95S into Md. Take 695E/S to the Key Bridge. Then take 97S to 50E to Annapolis. This route has tolls. There will be a toll on 95 in De, and a toll at the Key Bridge. And there are hills on 95 from De to Baltimore.

soco

I was born in annapolis and had family in east islip growing up, I've done that trip many many times. Small world. I'd say just come down the shore and hit the bay bridge, you will be fine. Also, yes do it early. Leave by 6am and you should be A-OK

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking leave super early from LI sat morning , also there won't be any road construction for holiday weekend .

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought in LI moved to a friends also on LI , believe it was towed by previous owner along my exit route originally.

kcollum

I have run both Throgs Neck Bridge to Cross Bronx's to GW and 278 Brooklyn Queens Express Way to Verrazano 278 across Staten Island to Goethals Bridge. The BQE early in the morning is a little faster and your are not going North to go South. Either way if you leave early traffic should be light.

Good luck with your trip.

Ken

Last edited:

greenjeepster

Good thing you left early and they didn't see you using your phone.... they will impound your truck, enlist your first born into slavery, and deport you for that around here :p

L1A1

I lived up there (Queens) for about 22 yrs. It's been almost that long since I've been back. I just don't remember the roads & bridges beeing graded on that steep of an angle.... :lol: Glad to read that everything went off w/o a hitch.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks